~ Chapter one ~

Sunny days in Asgard were quite common. However the scorching hot sun around lunch time wasn't the greatest thing in the heavens.
Main Street of Asgard's largest town was full of bustling people and loud noises. Only making the heat grow hotter. In the midst of all this business was Opal. A seven year old girl with no shoes on her feet or a dress on her body. Instead she went barefoot with blue oversized overalls and a green shirt. It was all her mother could afford.

As the day went on, the crowd in the market grew more and more. Giving Opal less and less attention. Coming from a poor family, she had learned the art of stealing. It wasn't something she was proud of but it was the best she could do. So, when the market was over filling with people, she would sneak next to a farm stand and snatch one or two things. Just enough that it wasn't noticeable. Ever so slightly she'd toss it in her bag and make a careful exit.

There was only a few times when Opal was caught for her crimes. She was released with a mere slap on the face and was forced to promise she'd never steal again. The only thing that changed was the place that she stole from. Each time she was caught was only a little setback.

"Mom! I'm home!" She said while entering the small house. It wasn't much but it was good enough for the time being.

"Mom? Where are you?" Opal asked, setting her bag of stolen goods on the rackety table.

"I'm in here." Came a scratchy voice from the back corner of the home.

Opal sighed with relief and followed her mother's voice.

"How are you feeling?" Opal asked, moving her mother's hair from her eyes.

Her mother smiled faintly, "Better, now that you're here."

Gently, Opal placed her hand on her mother's forehead. "You still have a fever...we must call the doctor now."

Suddenly the hand of the mother reached out and grabbed ahold of Opals wrist, "No!" her voice lowered down to a whisper when she saw the concern in her daughters eyes, "We can't afford the Doctor right now."

Maybe if you stop spending all your money on liquor we could.

"Okay." Opal said, walking over to the kitchen. There, she dampened a rag with cold water and carefully placed it onto her mother's forehead .

"Try to rest."

~~~~at the Asgard Palace

"Your highness-"

"I think you are all just overreacting!" Loki said, striding down the hallway, "this kingdom has experienced worse!"

The doctor informant walked faster to catch up to the fast moving god, "But Your Highness, we can't simply ignore the sickness! It's spreading to rapidly!"

Loki stopped dead in his tracks, "Your the doctor here. Surely you have a way to fix it."

"Well I do-"

"Then do it!" Loki interrupted harshly "I don't want to hear of this again from you."