Chapter 12

Violet knew that she was the worst type of fool. The air was sporadically marked with the sounds of crystal glasses being touched against one another, soft laughter and the tick-ticking of a grandfather clock. Patrick had not spoken to her in many ticks... one-hundred-six ticks to be exact.

Fool! Violet cursed at herself. How had it come to this? Why was she so aware of the man beside her? His every breath, every move of his body... He is a blood drinker! She thought furiously, but the reminder did nothing to detract from her attraction.

Patrick had saved her life. Twice! He was intense, mysterious and now she had discovered a kindness to him that made him all the more irresistible.

Coming to the dinner had been a spur of the moment decision prompted partly by the small hope that she might find a trail of Ismail, if not the man himself. Another reason was simply the desire to make Sarah happy with a fashionable dress.

What Violet had not considered was how difficult dining with the upper classes would be. She had never eaten in polite company, and it had been far too long since Cook's tutoring in table manners. If it had not been for Patrick, she would have embarrassed herself or gone hungry. Probably both. He had helped her through the entire dinner, prompting her whenever she reached for the wrong utensil, adjusting her glass when she almost tipped it over.  And now for the first time since they sat down, he was completely quiet and the silence was nerve-racking.

Patrick put her off balance, Violet realised. He made her behave unexpectedly, made her forget her goals, made her want as she had never wanted before.

"Violet?"

Violet almost jumped out of her skin as his voice came to her in a whisper. He was leaning towards her, his warm breath close to her ear. Too close for comfort.

"Yes?"

"This will not do."

Brows furrowed in confusion, Violet was about to ask what he meant when Lady Summers called her name.

"Yes, Lady Summers?" Glad at having a reprieve, Violet turned her head to face Lady Summers. It was easy to determine the Lady's location as the woman's clothes smelled as though they had been bathed in rose petals.

"If I procure a violin, might you favour us with a song?"

Violet smiled, the request reminding her why she was here. Wearing a beautiful dress, chatting casually with nobility, she had almost been feeling like that Violet of old. The silly daughter of a noble who spent the first years of her life roaming the halls of a mansion on her own. But she was not that Violet anymore. She was a gypsy. She was a musician. And she had been asked to this party to stimulate conversation and perform.  

"It would be my pleasure, Lady Summers."

Sounds of excited approval filled the air as Lady Summers asked that they should all retire to the music room. Before Violet could move, a hand came beneath her arm and guided her out of her seat.

"I don't need your help to get out of the chair." Her fierce whisper made her feel like she was being a tad ungrateful, but Patrick had to know she was no invalid.

"It is not about your needs sweetheart, it's about mine."

Sweetheart. The endearment caught her off guard and made her angry at the same time. They were moving away from the table and the only thing that kept her from jerking her arm away was that there were too many people around them to take notice.  Violet could hear Angelica speaking to Daniel a few paces ahead. Lady Summers was even further to the left, showing the way to the music room.