Chapter 6

"Why? You're scaring me."

I proceeded to tell him what happened, describing the way my reflection looked the best I could. Every time I closed my eyes, I could still feel the pressure of my eyes popping out of my sockets. The worst was that it didn't even happen to me; I only saw what happened to my reflection but it seemed so real that it was like I could feel the pain. 

"... I feel sick..." I added once I was done telling him everything.

"Just because you saw that doesn't mean you're going to die. How would that even happen? If your reflection could hurt or touch you, don't you think he would have already tried it?"

I took a moment to really think about his words and what he said seemed logical but another part of me was wary and didn't know if I could really trust my shadow. Shadows weren't supposed to move on their own so why wouldn't he be able to touch or hurt me? But, at the same time, Damien was right: he had never tried anything like that, yet.

"I think I'm going to call to take a sick day at work tomorrow and go to the psychiatrist. I'll see if I can talk to her quickly between two patients. I can't wait like that for a whole month while it keeps getting worse." I whispered as I closed my eyes.

He didn't answer but put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me into a one sided hug. We stayed in this position for a while until my back started to hurt. We got up and moved to the living room as none of us felt like sleeping anymore. I turned the TV on and didn't bother to change the channel. There was a random reality show on called Les Anges and I recognized a few people that I already saw in various other reality shows in the past. 

"Do you want a coffee?" Damien asked after watching the TV for a while.

I nodded and watched him get up and make his way toward the kitchen. I looked as he took everything he needed and turned the coffee maker on. He waited for it to be ready before serving it in two cups and walking back to the living room. I thanked him as he handed me one cup and gently blew on it before taking a sip. I could feel the hot beverage going down my throat and sighed: it felt good and I felt like it eased a little my tired body. We then spent the next few hours watching TV - or at least pretending to watch TV - I was lost in my thoughts and it seemed there was no immediate solutions to my problems. 

"I need to leave or I'm going to be late for work..." Damien said with a sigh .

"It's okay, I don't want you to be late because of me. I'll get ready and go to the psychiatrist and try to talk to her."

"Text me to let me know what happened, alright?"

"I will." I replied with a smile as I gave him a quick hug.

I watched him leave and went to the bedroom to take some clothes that I hastily put on. After putting my shoes on, I took my phone and dialed my boss' number to explain him that I really didn't feel great and that I was taking a sick day. When that was done, I left my apartment and made my way toward the psychiatrist's building. As I was walking, I couldn't help but look around, hoping I wouldn't see my shadow appear anywhere. I sighed as I stopped in front of the tall building and took a deep breath before opening the door. There were already two people in the waiting room and the secretary looked at me with a polite smile as I walked closer to her. "Hello, do you have a meeting scheduled for this morning?"

"No but I really need to talk to the psy. It will only take five minutes. It's important." I told her, hoping for a positive answer.

"I'm sorry but that won't be possible... But I can schedule a meeting for you if you want."

"No, you don't understand. I already have one but it's only in one month! And I need to talk to her right now. I feel like I'm losing my mind!" I said, starting to feel more and more agitated.

"Sir, you need to calm down and leave. There's nothing I can do for you right now. You need to come back next month for your appointment."

"Only five minutes, I'm begging you! I don't think I will be able to wait until next month..."

"If you don't leave, I'll need to call the police." The secretary said in a slightly shaky voice. I could see one of her hands discretely moving toward her phone and I shook my head. They didn't understand. I looked around me and saw that the two people in the waiting room were looking at me as if I was totally crazy and I stepped further away from the front desk. The last thing I needed was to end up in jail. 

With one last look toward the secretary, I turned around and left the building. Without losing any time, I started to run back to my apartment. I felt like I could hear whispers at every corner but did my best to ignore it, knowing it was probably my imagination or my shadow playing with my brain. Once in my apartment, I double locked the door and looked around me with round eyes. I couldn't continue like that; it needed to stop. Now.

With that in mind, I made my way toward the bedroom, ignoring my phone that was ringing in my pocket, intenting on stopping this problem right away...