three; snow falls

━━━━━━━━━━━━━
three; snow falls
━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

WHILE BOTH SOPHIE AND HENRY HAD BEEN RAISED IN something that looked like a castle on the exterior and had been one at some point in time, Caspian's castle was very different than theirs.

For starters, it was actually well kept and, more distinctly, had been well kept up with over the time that it had been occupied. Their castle in Golden Reef had been abandoned for a long time and while a lot of work had went into repairing it and getting it back in working order before both Henry and Sophie had been born, once it was safe, not full of cobwebs, dust and debris, they had mostly left it as it was. Caspian's castle was notably brighter than theirs.

Sophie didn't mind, though. It was actually kind of nice.

When she woke up on their first morning in Narnia, a maid came into the room, offering to help her bathe and dress. She'd also brought her some type of outfit with a skirt, but that was the only thing she'd said no to. Sophie wasn't opposed to being a little pampered every once and a while. It wasn't something you got a lot of when you lived on a ship or an island full of pirates.

After she was dressed (in her normal pants and shirt), the maid escorted her to the hall where they'd be dining. It was large and grand, with a beautiful window on one side that let in loads of light. There was a long table in the middle of the room, a chair more ornate than the rest at the head of the table and more scattered around it, intermittently occupied.

At the head of the table sat Caspian and Sophie's breath caught in her throat all over again seeing him. When he caught sight of her, a bright smile lit up his face and he stood, almost everyone else at the table hastily following suit.

"Sophie, I've saved a seat for you," he called to her, gesturing to the empty seat to his right.

"How generous of you," she said, unable to contain her own smile.

Sophie sat down in the seat, noting finally that Henry was next to her. Across from her was an unfamiliar face so she turned her attention to the food scattered about the table and reached for some, piling up her plate and beginning to eat. She looked down the table and caught sight of a few of her crew, which made her smile. They seemed to be settling in comfortably and that was always good to see.

"How did you sleep?" Caspian asked her.

"Not terribly," she admitted. "It will take some adjustment, the lack of a ship rocking below me. It always does, so don't think it's your beds, they're quite comfortable."

"That's good to hear."

"Your maid was nice as well," Sophie said. "Although she did try to get me to wear a skirt. Not really my style."

"Yes, that is quite clear. I'll be sure the staff know not to offer something so ridiculous in the future."

A blush spread on Sophie's cheeks for what felt like no reason at all and she looked away from Caspian and down to her plate even as a smile pulled at her lips. What was going on with her? She never acted like this around men.

"So, have you figured out what adventure you're taking me on today?"

"I'm taking you on an adventure?"

"Well, yes, of course," Sophie said. "You said you'd show me the best places in your land when we first met."

"Yes, I suppose I did," Caspian agreed with a smile, turning to the man across from Sophie that she didn't know. "Why don't you clear my schedule for the day so I can take Sophie on an adventure?"