Chapter One

The familiar sound of the warning bell rang through Greg Heffley's ears as he shoved open the front doors of Westmore Middle School for the first time since June. As reluctant as he was to walk through them alongside his best friend, Rowley Jefferson, he felt a sense of pride. He was in eighth grade - the highest grade in the school. The top dog.

He strode through the doors and examined his surroundings as kids shoved passed behind him. The nervous, yet excited sixth graders seemed to scurry around, trying to find their way around the hallways and weaving through the intimidating upperclassmen. The tired seventh graders trudged around knowing the initial excitement of middle school was over, and they still had two more years left to go.

Greg felt a sense of control, a sense of superiority. Little did he know that this was just the beginning to another long and hard year, and, despite that, one so insignificant to his future.

"Greg, this is so cool! I feel like the wise older brother!" Rowley squealed in excitement as they made their way to their lockers.

"I know, right! Rodrick told me not to keep my head so high because I'm still a 'pre-freshman baby.' But honestly, this feels great!" They arrived at their lockers and studied their locker combinations scribbled onto their printed schedules.

"Do you think it'll be worse next year? We'll be at the bottom of the school again, but with an extra grade to worry about!" Rowley said as he placed his fresh new textbooks neatly into his locker.

"I doubt it. Those highschoolers have actual important things to worry about." Greg half-lied. He knew that they most likely wouldn't get away from the torment of being freshmen. But he didn't have to worry about it right now. He had the whole year of being at the top of the school ahead of him.

Rowley shrugged. "Anyway, do you think you'll have any classes with Holly?"

"I'm not sure. We barely talked over the summer, as hard as I tried," Greg shook his head as he shoved his textbooks into his locker, contrary to the organized manner in which Rowley did so.

"What about Patty? That would be interesting," Rowley chuckled.

"Gag me with a spoon and then smack me in the face with that same spoon! Even being in the same grade as her is bad enou-," Greg was suddenly cut off by the twin-braided girl strutting by.

"Good to see you, Heffley. Didja fail Summer School? I wouldn't be surprised." She tilted her head and shrugged a shoulder.

"No, Patty. You wanna know why? Because I didn't have Summer School. But I'm sure you missed me while you were there," he made a sarcastic pouty face.

"Whatever, dork. Better hurry up and get to class with those twig legs. Although, I'm sure your homeroom teacher would be delighted not to see you there," she looked Greg up and down before turning to Rowley, "It's great to see you, though, Rowley! I hope you had a great vacation! See you later," Patty whipped around, her braids smacking Greg's face.

"She is such a brat!" Greg exclaimed once she was out of earshot.

"I think she's nice. Maybe if you get to know her and try to become-" Rowley was cut off as Greg slammed his locker shut.

"Don't even start!" He marched away toward his homeroom with one of his backpack straps dangling off of him as the other clung onto his shoulder. Rowley sighed and followed his best friend.

After homeroom flew by, Greg headed to his first period, math. He walked through the door as his eyes immediately met the eyes of his crush, Holly Hills. Greg felt a smile slide across his face as he rushed over to her. Thankfully, there was no Patty there to interfere.