Chapter Four

A/N- The first part of the chapter you can skip if you'd like. It's just explaining the Morpher World. But read the second, it's important. Thank you Wattpad!!

In the warmth of the fort Alice and I built with her sheets and comforter, I listened to "The A Team" by Ed Sheeran play, singing along while the hot cocoa warmed my hands.

"It's too cold outside 

For angels to fly 

An angel will die 

Covered in white 

Closed eye 

And hoping for a better life"

"Kody..." Alice seemed hesitant, fiddling with the edge of the mug. She ran over the bumps caused by the rough painting with the tips of her fingers and stared intently at the marshmallows that bellowed at the top. Her curly hair was up in a messy bun, small locks framing her face. I looked at Alice blankly, waiting for her to finish. "How... how does it work?" I looked at Alice who was staring back at me expectantly.

"You're going to have to elaborate on that, Hun." I said when she didn't say anything. I took a quick sip from my cocoa. The marshmallow melted right on my tongue, filling my taste buds with gooey goodness as the warmth spread in my body like a blossoming flower.

"Well," Alice paused, scrunching her eyebrows together. "What's it like? Being a Morpher. I want to know the who's, the how's, the why's. I want to know my bestfriend inside and out."

"You already do."

"Not the side where her eyes are golden, and she turns into a lion." Alice looked determined to find out the side I tried to hide so badly. But maybe after 6 years its time to let her in completely. I sighed and put my mug on the hardwood floor next to me. I wiggled myself onto my stomach from my sitting position and leaned on my elbows.

"What do you want to know?"

"What's with the I-Hate-The-Wolf? Is it like the Cat-And-Dog relationship thing?"

"It's not that I hate the Wolf, more like his... stature. He's a Royal, and looks at all other Morphers beneath him as nothing more than a speck of dust or an insignificant ant." It took all my effort not to punch a wall at his memory and how he played me.

"Royal? Like the Royal Family?" Her eyes shone with peaked curiosity and she leaned her chin on her left palm, curling her fingers in towards her cheek.

"No, More like first class. The High Council is like the Royal Family."

"Oh, " Alice nodded her head slowly, turning over what I just said in her brain. "What about everyone else?"

I scratched my eyebrow, trying to find a way to make things sound less complicated for Alice to understand. "Well, there are three different basic kinds of Morphers. The Royals are mostly made up of animals like the wolves and the bears. They resemble more human characteristics when in human and animal form than other Morphers.

"Their natural eye color is created by their biological genes, not their animal. The Royals are the more civilized of the Morphers, making them highly respected." I rolled my eyes at the thought of the Royals as Alice pretended to gag. "And being role models to many, many idiotic Ahlaves feeds their ego up to the size of England.

"Then come the Ahlaves next. That's what I am. Our DNA is split right down the middle, containing half animal DNA and half human DNA. Our eyes are the colors of our animals and our hair and sometimes skin tones resemble pretty closely our animal also. Usually, Ahlaves are big cats like the cheetah and lion, or snakes. We're the most common of the three.