Chapter Nineteen

Noah should have ignored his mother

Noah should have ignored his mother. He should have walked away. He should have fought harder. He should have done anything but allow himself to be roped into calling on Lady Cathy Truman. Barely half an hour into spending the afternoon alone with her in Lord Truman's private parlor, Noah was fully convinced he didn't like her.

It didn't matter that Lady Cathy was pleasant to behold with golden blonde hair drawn to the back of her head to reveal her oval face, highlighted by icy blue eyes, pointy nose and naturally rosy lips. What did matter to Noah was her nearness, her sizeable bossom poking his arm at the slightest movement, while her long fingers rested gingerly on his knee, teasing him. There was no doubt in Noah's mind that Lady Cathy's intention was to lure him to her bed—a man she had only just met. It bothered him to think of how many men she had succeeded in luring, how many had fallen into her trap...

"Do you care for some more tea?" she purred, the floral scent of her perfume tormenting his senses as her breath stung his neck. He swallowed, fighting the urge to push her back as he nodded numbly. He wasn't thirsty, but if accepting her offer for more tea would afford their bodies some distance, then so be it.

To Noah's chagrin, Lady Cathy did not lean back, nor did she withdraw her hand from his knee. She instead reached for the bell with her free hand and rang for a servant. A young maid hurried into the room, and keeping her head bowed, curtsied once Cathy had told her why she was summoned.

"You don't seem to like these sandwiches. Is there something else you'd prefer?" she asked, motioning to the barely touched tray of sandwiches.

"It is because I'm not hungry," he said. It was also because he had a woman breathing down his neck, quite literally.

"Well, can I interest you in something else to... Stir your appetite—" Her words were interrupted by a sharp hiss, followed by a loud crashing sound. Noah tore his gaze off of Lady Cathy long enough to find the maid wincing as she nursed a burned finger. Shards of what was once a tea cup laid at her feet.

"Idiot!" Lady Cathy barked, springing to her feet sharply as she slapped the maid hard across her cheek. The poor maid winced, cowering before her mistress.

Shocked, Noah rose to his feet as well. "I believe I've seen enough, my lady. I must leave now." It was best, for he didn't wish to dishonor a mistress by chastising her before her maid, even if the said mistress was an abusive monster.

"Oh, you must forgive my silly maid, my lord!" Cathy turned to him, her eyes pleading as she grabbed his arm, stopping him. "I shall ensure that she cleans up this mess, and if you'd like, we can move this conversation to a different room." She raised a brow, her lip tilting slightly at the sides in an inviting smile—one that was meant to seduce him, but did quite the opposite; it annoyed him.

Noah watched her, beyond irritated in that moment. He wasn't certain what to think of Lady Cathy, for he truly believed he had met multiple versions of her in the past half hour—the dutiful, blushing daughter when she was around her father, the seductress when she was with him, and the mistress with very little patience for her flustered staff. All of which he did not like.