60

the big picture

the big picture

THE ECHO OF HER STEPS IN THE HALLWAY FELL HEAVILY IN THE SILENCE. Her pace slowed as she listened to the various people sneaking through the building, barely stifling laughter at the thought of the fallout of their pranks. Athena tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear, dark brows twitching when she heard a familiar voice echo with the clanking of weights.

Turning down the hall, she slowed her pace as she approached the weight room, dark brown eyes dragging over the slits in the blinds lazily as she realized it was only Matt. Smirking to herself, she purposefully tapped the window, catching his attention as she stepped into the doorway.

His blue eyes roamed over the room warily before finally landing on her and her smirk widened at the sound of his sharp inhale.

"Athena?"

She tilted her head, a taunting smile gracing her face. "Miss me?"

"Matt shakes his head, still shocked at the sight of her as he takes a wary step towards her. "What are you doing here, Athena?"

Mocking a pout, she holds a hand to her heart. "I thought you'd be happy to see me, Matt. You know, for old time's sake."

His face furrows in confusion and she gestures a lazy hand at him, leaning her weight against the doorway. "You know– like, you protecting Elena and me trying to have her head on my mantle. I'm gonna miss it when she's gone. The cat and mouse game she always likes to play with me. It's a shame she's not very good at it,"

"Elena is dead, Athena. You and Bonnie killed her," He spits their names like it kills him to admit it, but it only serves to make her more smug.

"It's really cute that you think I don't know what's going on," She smiles tightly. "We tried to kill her, and we failed, which is something I don't like doing. She's like a goddamn cockroach, Matt, she just won't die."

Her smile drops and she steps into the weight room, her angry steps backing him into the wall. "But I know you know where she's at," Athena slams him against the wall, squeezing his jaw painfully tight between her hands as she looks into his fear-filled eyes. "And if I have to bleed it out of you, I will."

Matt shakes his head stubbornly. "You'll have to kill me before I tell you anything,"

"I plan to, Matty," She brings her other hand up, tapping the tip of his nose with her finger. "And when I'm done with you, it'll be Tyler. And after Tyler, I might go to Jenna, or Alaric, or even Carol."

Matt's eyes fill with rage and she smirks, knowing she'd finally struck a nerve. "So, you either tell me where she is, or I ask our very good friend Caroline to go door to door and kill everybody in this town until I have my answers."

Matt seems to contemplate her offer for a moment before he steels himself again, eyes hardening. "Like I said. You'll have to kill me first."

Raising her hand, she clenches it into a fist and rolls her eyes. "I knew you were going to say that,"