Chapter 5

Liam's P. O. V

Being a Wendigo has never been easy. People say no one is born a Wendigo, some say you turn into one when your spirit is corrupted by greed or weakened by extreme conditions such as hunger or cold.

Maybe it's a good thing that humans do not know where the truth is in most of the legends. I don't know what would happen if they knew my kind was real, it exists and it is active. Unlike popular knowledge, I was born a Wendigo because my parents were both wendigos. I was taught how to hunt for humans (prey) as early as 5 years of age by my father who was also my sire. Since my mother's death, my father has been there for me more than anyone else, him being the only wendigo I talked to and my sire meant I got all the knowledge about my kind from him.

Wendigos don't age, when we turn 21 our bodies stop developing and we get stuck in our youthful form. My kind can't be killed, well except by fire, the fire that killed my mother. My father is 400 years old but he looks like he's my age it's a blessing and a curse. Mating is different in all supernatural creatures, but more vast in Wendigos to a point where we could live for 100 years without finding our mates. My father lived 300 years before meeting my mother and they were together for almost another century before having me.

Mine and Heather's relationship was different because she was human and I knew we were mates at a young age, I was able to control it with the help of my sire and it became easier with time.

It has been 3 weeks since I told Heather we are mates, she surprisingly took it well than I thought but what made me happy was the fact she was willing to accept me for who I was even though I hadn't told her about my wendigo side yet, that was also the scariest part because who knows how she'll react when she learns the truth.

 Raven on the other hand doesn't miss an opportunity to remind me that I'm hiding an important part of myself and my life from my mate. Of course, hiding something as big as being a Wendigo from someone I love is not a decision I made but I can't imagine her leaving me because she thinks I'm a monster, I know it sounds selfish but if Heather will one day reject me for being a Wendigo then I'd rather enjoy my last days with her. I was going to tell her eventually but at the right time, when we were both ready, especially me.

Heather was being affected by the mating frenzy just as much as I was, my sire told me that was because of our connection as mates hence we could feel what the other felt and distance was a bad thing for our bond because it was still new. We stayed closer than ever but made sure to include Raven in most of our plans because she already was feeling insecure about us leaving her because of our bond, which would never happen but Raven was a drama queen so no explanation would convince her.

Driving to Heather's house to get her like I did every school day since we started dating, I packed my car just behind Saige's and rang the doorbell. Mrs. Walies opened the door after some seconds, smiling warmly at me, she welcomed me and told me to come in.

"Heather has a flu darling and I doubt if she'll be able to make it to school," Mrs. Walies said while sipping her coffee. "You can go see her upstairs if you are not afraid of being infected or I can just tell her you came." Obviously, I went to see her, Wendigos don't get sick but of course, I didn't tell her that, and even if we did I'd still go in.

Entering Heather's room I find her laying on her bed with tissues everywhere and bottles of water. She struggled to sit up but I helped her. Looking at me like I was the last person she was expecting to see, she blew into another tissue while mumbling excuses and apologies I couldn't quite understand with her muffled voice.

"I told Mom not to let you in you know," she said while opening the window for some fresh air. "It's an airborne disease you'll get infected if you hung around for long." Ignoring her warning I walked to her and hugged her while whispering loving words to her until she stopped talking and relaxed.

"I hate seeing you like this, I hate seeing you in any type of pain," stroking her hair I planted a kiss on her forehead and another one on her chick that made her giggle but it came out more of a guggling sound.

Take a bath we get you out of here, you need a lot of fresh air if you want to get rid of that flu, i told her. She tried to argue but I convinced her and she went into the bathroom. I hadn't noticed at first, maybe it was because of how I had found her but I soon saw the photo collage hanging on her wall and looking nicer than I remember or maybe it was just because everything my mate touched turned into perfection.

It started raining outside and there I stood behind her glass bathroom door, I stayed there for a few minutes waiting for her before I decided to go and wait by the window. I looked at the view from her window and it was magnificent, the senary was amazing and I felt like staring out there forever.

There were pictures of Raven and me by her nightstand, nicely framed. I took the picture frame that had Raven in it and held it in my hand, I smiled immediately at the sight of Raven wearing a Rabbit costume, it was 2 years ago but I remembered it like it was yesterday. I couldn't imagine a life without Raven, she was like a sister to me, I loved her more than words could describe.

The door to Heather's bathroom soon opened, revealing a fresh-looking Heather. Her skin was moist, far from drought and it looked like coffee. She cleared her throat and I realized that I had been staring at her that whole time.

My face turned red in embarrassment and I stood so that I could go out and give her room to change but she held my hand and stopped me, placing her lips on mine, our lips moved in sync as we enjoyed each other's warmth. We parted slightly and I took some time to look at her, admiring my perfect mate. Her piercing brown eyes and her captivating smile.

Kissing her for the last time, I turned around and walked out of the door, giving her the space that she needed.