8| Attention

Chapter 8: Attention (Ace's POV)

I sat there at the table, watching the last few reporters get dragged out and thrown back into their van. I sighed and stood up, walking to Gerard who looked terrified. Right about that. "Mr. Gerard," I sang, resting my elbows on the counter. "Why would you call the reporters here when it wasn't a planned visit? Who asked you to do that?" I scratched my brow. 

"I- it wasn't me," he stammered. 

I let out a breath and leaned over the counter, grabbing his collar and jerking him forward. 

His manager then intervened trying to loosen my grip. "Sir, please! Sir, please let him go!" 

"Spit it out!" I yelled, shaking him up. 

He never fucking talks. And the fact that he's my father's age makes me not want to punch him. But I've punched many men my father's age. One more now. He blurted it out before my fist made contact with his face. "Your fathers!" 

I pulled my fist down but kept a firm grip on his collar. "Mine?" 

"And hers. Mr. Kieran and John," he said frantically. "They said i- if you come here today with her then I'm meant to call reporters. I swear that's it! I just followed their orders, I thought you knew!" 

I let him go. "See. It wasn't so hard." I rolled my eyes and turned around to go get Gianna. 

But when I made it there, she was already standing outside, leaning against the door. I stopped in front of her. "Our fathers?" she asked. 

I sighed, looking away. 

"Allister," she said sternly. 

I nodded, looking back at her. "Our fathers." 

"Take me home." 

I blinked. "What?" 

"You were going to take me to work. Take me home instead. I want to go home." Oh. Her home. 

"All right," I agreed. She followed me out of the restaurant and to my car and I pulled the door open and she climbed in, staring at her feet. I closed the door and cursed under my breath while walking to the other side. What horrible timing, dear fathers. "To the Phoenix estate, please," I sighed. 

Mr. Pete is her chauffeur anyway. 

I'm lucky that both our families have the same protocol for situations like this when the reporters get out of hand and we need help. I don't know who they call but it wasn't an ideal situation to find out. My men needed to be called so they were. 

"Mr. Pete will drop you off after me. You can tell him where to take you," she said, staring out the window. 

"He doesn't have to," I said, looking at her. 

"Will you walk then?" She turned to me with a blank look. 

I sighed and leaned my head back, staring out the window while she did the same. "Maybe I should stay with you for a while," I said. 

"Allister, I'm not a child who needs a babysitter. I won't throw a fit and break anything, I promise," she teased. 

I rolled my eyes. "I'm saying that because I spoke to Mr. Daniel. And what do you know, they didn't go out on business, they're at my place. And you may not be a child who throws a fit but I can be. So for my sake, let me stay with you." I stared at her. 

"And why should I do anything for your sake?" She lifted a single brow at me sharply. 

I sighed and lifted the controller, folding it back up. Nothing is keeping us apart now. I snaked an arm around her waist and pulled her closer until her side was completely pressed up against mine.