Daunting and Exhilarating

"Hey, hey, have you listened to Checkmate's new single? KING was so hot in the cover art of the song!"

"I'll even pay for him to step on me!"

"Sheesh, you girls are so thirsty over the guy..."

"Like you boys are any better, you simp over QUEEN."

"She's awesome, okay?"

Akira silently agreed on what his classmates were talking about. Checkmate sounds pretty awesome and the concept they have going on just adds to their appeal.

Checkmate is a band with five members. As their name suggests, the concept of the band had something to do with chess. The stage names the members used even adds to it; KING, QUEEN, BISHOP, ROOK, and KNIGHT. Not only that, everyone in the band wears a mask when performing, giving a sense of mysteriousness and the unknown.

Akira thought it was a pretty cool concept.

Not only that, there was something in their music that makes Akira feel... things. Things he couldn't quite describe. It's electrifying, makes him feel alive, and Checkmate always has a song to what he was feeling.

It was daunting but exhilarating.

Daunting in a sense that it feels like they know of his thoughts, his feelings, his secrets. Like each song was written for him – for them, that these songs are there as a reminder of the things they did, an announcement to the world of their deeds.

Exhilarating because no one knows of it. No one knows that each word, each verse had such an effect on him. That no one knows that these songs know to hit where it hurts – at least to Akira. That he felt relief because it hurts. The thrill he feels by hiding these feelings from everyone.

And especially because of their vocalist – KING. That person was the reason why he likes the band so much. Every time Akira hears his voice, he couldn't help the shivers running down his spine. KING's voice is so full of raw passion and emotion that had Akira keening every time he hears his voice.

Of the voice that delivers all the harsh hits he feels.

Every single time.

Without fail.

And Akira lets it. Let it fester on him, lets all these feelings and emotions run amok in him, to raze and burn within him. Because to him, even though it hurts, it was also his salvation.

Truly daunting and exhilarating.

"Everyone to your seats," The homeroom teacher walked in and Akira yawned, "We have a new student today. He was a bit late enrolling but I hope you make him feel welcome."

The students started to murmur, curiosity and anticipation filling the air. Akira doesn't really care who the transfer student is, as long as that person does not bother him.

The door slid open and Akira's drowsiness went away in an instant. He could feel his eyes widen at the person who just walked in inside the room.

"I'm Kageyama Tobio, hope we'll have a good year together."

What?

What is Kageyama doing here? In Aoba Johsai?

After he went and disappeared from the face of the Earth all those months ago.

Akira had to blink a couple of times to make sure he was not hallucinating.

Kageyama grew. He used to be one of the smaller members but he now stood tall at 6-foot high. He also developed some muscles and looked toned as well. His cold, distant eyes were still there but there is something else as well and Akira couldn't quite put a finger on it and doesn't know if he should be glad or not.