1-1

DAY ONE

There was a palliative hush of tranquility that hung in the air of late January as if the entire world had gone on a quiet pause. Each breath blows heavily into the atmosphere, warm carbon dioxide counteracting the frigid oxygen that squeezed around every mass. Each step sticking to the concrete sidewalks below that lay buried underneath the blanket of snow underneath. The snow was enough to stick to the bottom of your feet, coating the bottom of your shoes in white condensation.

Until a gust of wind sent papers fluttering into the air, earning a soft gasp into the air as two hands flew into their directions. Attempts to catch the papers occurring as one of two appendages was still holding onto the file that had opened due to the wind, cursing quietly as the male behind the two hands tried to take back the private papers that were now out of their respective file.

Saihara Shuuichi eventually managed to gain a hold on his papers again, sighing with quiet relief as he carefully reordered his papers in order to make sure he would be prepared for his meeting that would begin in half an hour from now. Now, most people in the detective business would know him for working underneath his uncle, a man who, alongside his aunt, had become his guardian after his parents decided that taking care of him and their careers at the same time, but he had quit working underneath him once he had decided to move out of his old town and move to Osaka.

He had been living here on his own since he was eighteen, now being a twenty-one-year-old male living on his own. It had been a good bit of work managing to assure his guardians that he would be alright on his own, and it had been a tearful goodbye once he had moved across the country. Despite this, Saihara had been quite successful in terms of work, having earned a steady job. Since he had managed to add onto his resumé that he had worked under one of the most profitable detective agencies in the northern part of Japan, it hadn't been difficult to land a job here.

Where he worked was the Saishu Investigations agency, a very developed agency here. He had landed the job over a few individuals, and now he worked as a primary investigator despite his age. Though it wasn't as if he was incredibly young versus the other employees. In fact, there was one woman he had been working with who happened to be only a few years older than he was. However, she was so much more experienced than he was, so maybe that explained why he looked up to her. It's not like she minded, but still.

There was also a friend of his from high school, who had decided that she would work alongside Saihara after getting out of her previous job. She seemed to like the idea of the job, though she had lingered in Tokyo first, so she was someone he occasionally held contact with. Sometimes she would come to work under the Saishu's administration, but it was mostly for cross-company events and such. She would be coming to work here soon, once she passed the training she was taking under his uncle. He had been more than happy to help after learning about her friendship with his only nephew.

Now then, why had Saihara simply decided that he would take a car and reduce the effect of the wind and snow and whatnot. Well, after the heavy snowfall that had occurred overnight, which was extremely rare for Osaka, it had caused them to block off the roads so that they could be salted and the ice could be gotten rid of. Which meant he had to walk in the cold weather before a major meeting.

Which made it quite a burden for the young man, who had been trying to hurry along the process. Checking his watch, it seemed he had taken a good few minutes to just get his papers back, so now he was down to fifteen minutes. Clicking his tongue as he broke into a run, already feeling his inexperienced muscles begin to burn as he did so. After never taking part in PE besides the mandatory events required to earn a grade, it was of no surprise he was going to more than likely regret this decision. The last time he had run had been to catch a culprit who had been running away after being caught by one of his coworkers. He hadn't been the one to catch them, but he had been close.