That's What Friends Are For

Taiga was grateful that she had an electric alarm clock, and not one of those mechanical ones that have to be set every time. Otherwise, she surely would have overslept.

It was six o'clock, meaning that school would be starting in a few hours. She immediately regretted not eating anything last night; her stomach was growling at her. She was pretty sure her stomach was going to start to eat her.

Well, it was either hunger, or it was sadness scrambled throughout.

She went through her morning routine, which took way longer than usual, probably because there was no motivation to get ready fast. What was the point if she was only to go to school?

She ate a bowl of cereal, brushed her teeth, washed her face, and got dressed. She couldn't help but notice dried tears on her cheek and eyes while washing her face.

Once the clock hit 7:30, she locked her door, looked at Ryuuji's apartment across the alley, and left for school.

It was boring, actually, not being able to talk to anyone, unlike when she would converse with Ryuuji on their way to school. She'd heard people talk about how reassuring nature was - the birds, the breeze, the clouds - but she thought they were all crazy.

Being alone meant the only thing she could do was think, and thinking meant that her mind wandered to her and Ryuuji's relationship. And Taiga didn't know what she could do about it.

Thankfully, she arrived at school quick enough, and sitting by her desk was Minori. Taiga smiled; finally, someone to talk to.

"Hey Minori," Taiga greeted.

"Hi Taiga!" Minori exclaimed. "How are you on this beautiful morning?"

Taiga sat down and rested her head on her palm in a show of boredom; that was her answer.

"I heard Ryuuji went to that charity. Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah yeah," Taiga shrugged. "Why wouldn't I be?"

They continued to talk, Ami and Yusaku later joining, until class started. Oddly enough, Taiga wasn't feeling any better; in fact, she was feeling worse. She missed what Ryuuji would bring to the conversation.

Lunch wasn't any better either. Her food was amazing, thanks to the great cooking of her boyfriend, but once again, something was off.

It just wasn't the same.

"Taiga?" Ami asked. "Can you come with me to the bathroom?"

"What the heck?" Taiga nearly spat out her food. "Whenever have I ever done that?"

"Just come with me!"

Taiga groaned as she followed Ami to the bathroom. This better be important.

"Alright chihuahua," Taiga sighed, "what do you wanna tell me? 'Cause I don't really like staying in a pee-filled, stinking room."

Ami took no laugh at Taiga's words. "What's wrong?"

"Huh?"

"C'mon Taiga, it's so clear to see," Ami said. "There's something off with you today. Not that I like it, but you're not your energetic self."

"I'm just tired," Taiga replied, "...of everything."

"Did you have a fight with Ryuuji or something?"

"No no no," Taiga said, "not at all."

Ami sighed heavily, walking around the bathroom. Then, in a fit of anger, she kicked the trash can and shouted, "Gosh! You two are so...just...stupid!"