a new beginning

Barley was in his van, thinking, it had been just a few weeks since his parents death, and barley is driving both himself and Ian to their new apartment.

He couldn't forget what he saw when he entered the house, blood everywhere, the furnitures turned upside down and some stuff was stolen, but the most traumatic thing he saw was when he Saw his parents on the floor of their living room Dead, he found Ian sitting in his room in the corner crying.

Barley doesn't know much about what had happened, but from what they could Ian to say was that two guys broke in the house and he heard yelling and screaming from downstairs and slowly snuck down the stairs to see his parents being shot so he ran back to his room to hide, thankfully, they never came upstairs and ran out of the house.

"Barley?"

A small voice cut through his thoughts and he shook his head and turned to his little brother, the small 3 year old had his tiny hand on barley's big arm and looked at him with big sad eyes.

"What's wrong Bud?" He asked the small child.

"I-i'm thinking about it again." He whimpered as his eyes starts to well up in tears, he put the his Big hand on Ian's and gently smiled at him.

"It's ok Bud, try not to think about it, I'm right here."

Ian nodded and looked down, positioning his green dragon plush toy in his arms, he had gotten it for his birthday from his parents and named it blazey.

They soon made it to the apartment and barley got out and picked up Ian in his arms.

"Ok, are you ready to see our new home?"

Ian nodded "yeah!"

Barley went inside the building and took the elevators down to the basement where they live and walked into the apartment "here we are!" Barley said.

The door to the entrance, with a mini staircase at the front door, leads right into the living room, which was medium sized, and there was a small area for the kitchen, turn left and there was a hallway leading towards the master bedroom, The bathroom, and the storage room.

Barley walked to the master bedroom and opened the door, showing a medium sized room with one medium sized double bed on one side and one little single bed sitting at the foot of the Big bed turned sideways.

Barley walked to the little bed and sat Ian down on it.

"Ok bud, this is where you and I will be sleeping from now on."

"Me and you are going to share a room?" He asked while looking around.

Barley nodded "yeah, we're going to be roomies! What do you say!?"

Ian looked at barley and smiled "ok!" Ian always loved spending time with barley.

"Ok bud, you stay here and play with blazey, I'll be right back." Barley said as he stood up.

"Ok barley" Ian said innocently, barley smiled down at his little brother and kissed his forehead before softly rubbing his head and walked away.

Ian watched as his brother walked out of the room before he looked around, it was a little smaller than his old room, he thought as Saw a box entitled 'toys' on it.

He got up and walked to the box, it looked like it was open a little so Ian opened it some more and Saw some of his toys.

He looked a while longer until he Saw his ball that His daddy had brought him and picked it up and started bouncing it.

Just then, he heard loud barking from down the hallway and stopped bouncing the Ball, a black dragon came out of nowhere and tackled Ian to the ground.

He let out a little Yelp as barley and some elf came running in the room, the elf grabbed the dragon by its leash and yanked him off of Ian as barley picked him up from the floor.

"I'm so sorry about my dragon, he loves little kids."

The elf said but barley backed away and looked down at his baby brother worried, "are you ok Ian?"

Ian rubbed his face and turned himself towards barley "yeah, I'm ok." He said as the dragon tried to reach Ian again.

Barley backed away some more as the elf tried to calm down the dragon.

"Comet!"

A voice could be heard yelling throughout the basement apartment and soon, a purple elf came rushing in the room, she sighed and picked up the dragon and looked towards barley.

"I'm so sorry about comet, he's very playful when it comes to kids."

Barley nodded "it's ok, he seems very excited." Barley said as the dragon started to calm down some.

"Oh! He's a very energetic dragon, and he loves kids. I'm Maybelle, I work at the store on the 1st floor."

Barley shook her hand "I'm barley Lightfoot, and this is my little brother Ian." Barley said as he looked down at his brother.

"Ian say hi"

Ian shyly waved and said "hi" then he looked at the dragon before he looked back up at Maybelle "is he friendly?" He asked her.

Just as she was about to answer him, an older male voice can be heard.

"Oh! He's friendly alright." A elf came around the corner and introduced himself "Adams West at your service" he said as he tipped his hat a little " Maybelle's my wife and this here" he said as he put an arm around the young elf who grabbed the dragon by his collar "is my son, Austin West" he said as Austin waved a little.

"Well, it's nice to meet you All." Barley said as Another group came into the room.

There was John Smith, the resident doctor and his kids, Bonnie and Steve, and the apartment's manager, Daryl and his wife Lucy.

Barley politely greeted All of them, Ian looked down and then back up then asked: "does everyone live here?"

Daryl laughed, "We sure do little one."

"Wow"

He said in wonder, "oh! Uh, how about we all go into the living room and get to know each other?" Barley suggested and they all agreed.

Barley had learned that Maybelle, Adam, and Austin All work at the little store that's also on the first floor and John has a clinic on the first floor too, while talking with them, barley told them a little about what had happened to them and their parents.

He immediately got sympathy from them, while All of this was happening, Ian and comet were playing with each other in Ian and barley's room.

Soon enough though, they all had to leave.

Barley was at the door with Ian holding his hand waving goodbye to everyone, he closed the door and picked up Ian "you know, I think we're going to be ok here, what do you think?" He asked him.

Ian nodded "yeah, I think we are too." He said.

Barley smiled at him "come on, let's go unpack some before dinner." Barley said as he carried Ian down the stairs and into the living room.