1.No longer Nameless(Wuming survives au!!)

setting: What if Xie Lian decided against releasing the plague?

It was cold. The world felt too bright. His head too heavy, buzzing with thoughts he couldn't keep track of. Every corner he turned, he would see a white-clothed figure scuttle away just barely out of his reach. His fingers trembled, their grip on the white cry-smiling mask never once loosened.

 Xie Lian took in sharp ragged breaths, time had passed but he could still feel a thousand swords breaking into his insides, he could see their faces overcome with guilt and desperation as they stabbed into his abdomen. The very same people he wanted to protect.

He remembered Lang Ying's face, his wife and baby's face implanted on his own. He could hear the resonating wail of the baby even after Lang Ying died. His only hope of avenging himself withered away.

He could hear Bai Wuxiang's voice echoing in his ears, "Just‌ ‌as‌ ‌I‌ ‌thought.‌ ‌This‌ ‌appearance‌ ‌suits‌ ‌you‌ ‌very‌ ‌well." He grabbed a fistful of the funeral-white garbs and clenched them between his fingers. he didn't want to become like Bai Wuxiang. But he wanted revenge. Why should HE be the helpless victim? What had he done to be hated by all? Why should he protect the people who loathed him? There was no one who cared for him, so why should he hold back, why should he care?

No. Xie Lian thought back on the Black-clad ghost donning a smiling mask.

He remembered the way he addressed him by his former title. Your Highness. There was no derision in his tone, only sincerity, and devotion. The devotion he hadn't known in a while. The youth was ready to follow all his decisions but by becoming the White-cloth calamity, wouldn't he disappoint the one person who believed in him?

 He was mistaken, all this while there had been someone who had cared for him all along! Even if it was only one person, a ghost at that, he wouldn't break their devotion; although he suspected the Black Clad ghost's devotion was undeterred. He had already ordered him to release the plague within three days. The ghost, he had named Wuming, was already gone. Wouldn't it be too late? Even if it wasn't, how was he to call the ghost back? Too late too late too late...he wanted to rip out his hair. He rolled into a ball, allowing himself to finally shed all those tears he had held back. He whispered, voice hoarse," Wuming, come back...please"

He hadn't expected to hear Wuming's voice, nor had he expected to see the ghost stand before him.

He got up and scrambled over to the Ghost and pulled him into a bone-crushing embrace. we felt Wuming freeze under his touch before slowly relaxing. The mask lay forgotten.

"Your..your Highness?" 

Xie Lian didn't pull back." How...?" he asked. "I thought you ...I thought it was too late." He finally let go of the youth and looked up at him.

He bent down on one knee and gently took Xie Lian's hand in his own.

"Your Highness wished for me to be here, therefore I am.'

Xie Lian could barely hear the words. He had been in constant turmoil all this time yet his believer was already there. He laughed, much like a maniac, but this was the first time he felt truly happy.

Wuming seemed to have misunderstood his joyful laughter for one born of craze and immediately, said," If his Highness wishes, I will immediately release the plague. Forgive this one's insolence for"

"No". Xie Lian's voice was resolute and Wuming looked up from where he knelt to find his beloved smile at him. It felt like his dead heart and resumed beating yet again.

Xie Lian turned around and picked up Fangxin from where it lay on the floor. "I've changed my mind." 

If Wuming was surprised, he didn't let it show. 

"Xie Lian turned back at him and said, "I couldn't bring myself to disappoint my last believer."

"His Highness can never disappoin-" Xie Lian hushed him and beckoned him to stand him.

"Wuming, I want you to answer me truly", he said. The Black-clad ghost nodded.

"Who are you? I want to know your real name."

At his silence, Xie Lian continued, "Surely, we must have met while you were still alive. So tell me, I wish to know your real identity."

Wuming remained silent and just when Xie Lian had given up hopes of learning his name, he spoke up, "His Highness saved me on the day of Shangyuan"

Xie Lian's eyes widened, first from shock and then from recognition.

"Hong Er," Xie Lian said. "You are Hong er !"

Wuming seemed surprised as if he didn't expect him to remember his name.  He nodded dumbly.

Xie Lian traced the edge of his smiling mask. "Can I...?" Hong er flinched at first and Xie Lian immediately retreated. "It's okay you don't have to."

Hong er shook his head," it's just that....his Highness might find my appearance revolting."

"I would never", Xie Lian said firmly. The reassurance seemed to have worked as Hong er for he removed the mask and let it drop to the ground. A black eye and a red eye stared back at Xie Lian. He reached out and gently ran his finger across Hong er's right eyelid.

'Hong er has become so strong. he has grown up so-", he stopped. grown up? he had died because of him!

"I'm sorry", he whispered. He could no longer meet his believer's devout gaze. 'I'm sorry" he whispered over and over again

Hong er's face was aghast with horror. He knelt down and grasped Xie Lian's hands in his own.

"To die for you in battle is my greatest honor." his eyes were filled with devotion and sincerity. 

Xie Lian sucked in a deep breath. "Tell me," he said, "The young soldier from the Land of Tender....was it you ?"

"yes", Hong er nodded. 

Xie Lian's mind wandered to the stubborn Ghost Fire whom he had set free. "And the ghost fire?", he asked. 

He nodded again.

Xie Lian didn't ask about the ghost's beloved, he had no right to.

Xie Lian felt a sob rack through his body and his eyes stung from barely held back tears. He pulled the Ghost- no- Hong Hong er close to his chest and mumbled through the uncontrollable sobs," How could I have been so blind? My one true follower was here all along." He hugged Hong er tighter, fighting through the tears. 

Hong er was too entranced to move, he didn't trust his voice. It all felt like a dream, to be held by His Highness with such affection was something he had yet to get accustomed to. He let himself sink into the warmth.

Things had been hard and things would be harder. But it will be okay as long as they have each other. Because for them, one is enough.

A/N- 'm back bishes! Here is the first chapter of the Book of AU's. The chapters will be unrelated unless mentioned otherwise. I want to cover some of STARember's art. Hope to see you guys!

I will take requests.

EDIT: just a few changes cus my friend pointed em out.Tnx to DipShit!

<3