5.Broken and Built (part 1)

Hua Cheng's lips were always soft and velvety. A ghost should be cold but whenever Xie Lian kissed him it always felt like fire was coursing through his veins. Maybe it was the influx of spiritual energy, maybe it was the gentle touch which he had missed for 800 years. Hua Cheng made him feel complete.

Hua Cheng grabbed his face and pressed their lips together, pouring spiritual energy into Xie Lian, he could feel the shackles turning weak, the suffocating hold loosening from around his neck and ankles.

At this rate, won't Hua Cheng burn out? Xie Lian's eyes widen at the realisation but Hua Cheng assures him in the communication array,"just a little longer Your Highness, let this servant be of use to you. " Xie Lian wanted to argue, say that it was himself who was useless and Hua Cheng had been his only support but the words faded out when the warm flow of energy stopped abruptly, replaced by something cold and malicious.

He heard Bai Wuxiang's laughter echo and the heated battle ground warp and melt into the a broken , old temple altar. He felt Hua Cheng's touch slide away, replaced by the pain of a thousand swords piercing through his body. He tasted bile at the back of his mouth. Xie Lian's eyes darted about the interior, searching for Hua Cheng. " San Lang!" He tried to scream but he didn't know whether any sound came out. When he looked down at his body, if he could still call it one, he only saw the mangled remains he had once been after being stabbed by the same people he wished to protect. Only a bloodied Fang Xin lay at his side.

It hurts it hurtsithurts IT HURTS .

" San Lang" , he choked out.

"Xianle", he heard Bai Wuxiang's voice behind and whipped around, grasping the sword in his hands.

" My Xianle, you have been so naive and foolish." He said. " Why wouldn't you listen to my advice and follow my path. Helping the common people will always prove futile."

"Where is San Lang?" , Xie Lian growled.

" You will end up being betrayed by the arrogance and corruption of humans. ", He continued. " You have so much potential, if only you weren't so stubborn."

"Shut It."

Bai Wuxiang stilled, a dark expression painting his face. Xie Lian lurched at him, sword in hand but Bai Wuxiang slipped away again. And appeared behind him.

Xie Lian whipped around, ready to strike but he froze in his steps, a painful whimper escaped his lips.
Bai Wuxiang held a sword against Hua Cheng, no, Hong er's throat. The grand crimson robes and eye patch had been replaced by rags and bloodied bandages.
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM ?" Xie Lian growled.

"Me? You're mistaken Xianle, he did this to himself." Bai Wuxiang tightened his hold on the small body. Hua Cheng couldn't even writhe in the hold." YOU did this to him."

"NO!"

" Even a ghost king doesn't have an endless reserve of energy and you made him exhaust his."

"No", Xie Lian's voice wavered, his demeanour flickered.

"Even as a youngling ghost, you led him to commit your crimes. ' Nameless ' ,how cruel my Xianle."

"No no you , you were Wuming?" Xie Lian felt his world crumble around him.

"Dianxia, don't listen to him", Hua Cheng's voice was high pitched, like the child that he was now." Dianxia has never hurt me, it is my greatest honour to die for you in battle."

Bai Wuxiang pressed the sword against the small neck, drawing out blood.

" Don't hurt him", Xie Lian whispered. " I'll do whatever you ask of me, but please don't hurt him" , he begged. A evil smirk crossed Bai Wuxiang's face.