Chapter Eighteen

"Elizabeth. Elizabeth, you need to wake up." Ms Robin's says as she gently shakes my shoulder,

"Mhmm." I hum and my eyes start to flutter open to see Ms Robins bent over beside the couch I'm lying on.

"Don't you have school today?" She asks me with a tilt of her head.

"Yes, why what time is it?" I ask and I prop myself up with my elbows,

"Dear, it's eight in the morning." She tells me softly and my eyes widen like saucepans,

"Oh my god. Thank you so much for waking me up. Uhm, I have to get to school." I frankly say as I run and grab a skirt and t-shit and get changed in the bathroom.

"Have a good day at school." Ms Robins laugh as I swing my bag over my shoulder,

"You too, Ms Robins." I say as I make my way to the door but freeze "Well I mean have a good day at work." I say, my accent coming out stronger as I got more and more nervous.

Ms Robins just laughs at me as I race out the door and down the street. I don't even bother to check what time it is, because I know I'm late for school.

"Sorry. Sorry. Pardon me." I say as I push people out of the way in my rush to get to school,

As I reach the school gate I hunch over to try to regain my breath again. "Bloody hell. God, I'm so late." I mutter to myself as I walk in the front entrance and to my art class.

"Ms Carter, care to explain why you are once again late to my class." Ms White says as the class turns around to look at me.

"I'm just fashionable late," I state, but as I try to hide my nervousness my accent isn't helping too much.

"Fashionable late. Is that so?" Ms White says as she crosses her arms over her chest.

"Uhm, yes. That's right." I say with an innocent smile on my face.

Ms White just rolls her eyes at me and sighs. "Fine, take a seat and continue with your work." She says and I quickly make my way beside Bucky.

"Hey, why are you here so late?" He asks me and I can feel my face heat up a bit.

"I'm not late... everyone is just... early. Yeah, that's all." I stutter out and Bucky gives me a smirk and nods his head.

"Sure. Whatever you say, Doll." He says as he goes back to sketching on his piece of paper.

"Wait where's Steve?" I ask as I look beside Bucky and around the classroom,

"After the cyclone yesterday he didn't feel so good. So his Ma said he was staying home for the day." He tells me and I nod my head,

"Is he okay?" I ask again, worried for my blond friend,

"I'm sure he'll be okay. It's not the worst he's gotten." He assures me and I nod my head again,

"Okay," I say as I take a piece of paper and start to draw a bowl of fruit that's on a table at the front of the class.

"I hope your birthday present wasn't too cheesy or anything." I again whisper to Bucky and he looks at me with a smile and shakes his head.

"No, it was an amazing birthday. Thank you." He whispers back and I smile and nod my head again as I continue to draw the bowl of fruit.

"But uhm. I'm going to get you back for the bet we made." He whispers to me with a smirk on his face.

"Whatever you say, Barnes. Whatever you say." I say to him with a smirk and he gives me one back.

"We'll see about that, doll." He says and I roll my eyes at him but smirk at him as we continue to do our work,