Chapter One: The Travel Machine

Year: 2060

"Not going to happen Y/n." My dad sternly told me, as I sat beside him on a stool in his lab. He was looking through his microscope into a beaker of some sort.

"I don't understand. Why can't I know about them? Were they criminals or something?"

Let me catch you up on what's going on.

My name is Y/n Johnson and I'm the adopted daughter of prized scientist Marcia and James Johnson. They work to find ways to reduce and prevent global warming, which has currently taken out the countries of Japan, Yugoslavia, and Baghdad. They are so devoted to their work that they have a lab in our house, and spend most of their time there.

I was currently in a fight with my dad because I wanted to know who my birth parents were. It's not that I don't love my adopted parents, I do, I just want to know my real ones too.

I want to know if I was like them, because I'm sure not like my adopted parents. I like old rock music and they like test tubes. They are focused on this generation and the future, while I prefer the past...like when the planet wasn't destroyed yet.

I specially wish I lived in the 2010s or 2020s. Not because of that virus or the mediocre comedy movies, but because my favorite band of all time, Greta Van Fleet, was in that time. I don't know anyone who listens to the same music I do. Everyone likes modern music and it's hard to find anyone who likes music from fifty or forty years ago.

I would have to say my favorite song is Flower Power or The Barbarians, and my favorite member is Jake Kiszka. I'm hopelessly in love with him. Since paper was outlawed in 2056 because of waste and damage to the environment, my parents got me a metal picture of Jake instead.

Unfortunately the city of Frankenmuth, Michigan was gone too, after a meteor shower that exploded it, so there is no more Greta Van Fleet, but I still dream of meeting them, even if it may be impossible.

"No Y/n, if I say no, that means no." James continued.

I just rolled my eyes and stormed out of the lab and into the kitchen.

"What's wrong honey?" I hear my mom say. She's sitting at the island reading a magazine.

"Dads being so unfair! He won't let me know about my real parents."

My mom sighs and flips a page of her magazine.

"Your fathers right honey, maybe you shouldn't know."

I just cross my arms and shake my head.

"It's a really important thing and maybe he's afraid you won't handle it well." She adds.

Won't handle it well? Canada is currently on fire and I still get my biology homework done and watch reruns of Stranger Things with them.

Them not trusting me is nothing new. I don't know if you'd call it trust, but it's like their afraid of my reaction to things. One time they refused to tell me that they discovered a new plastic eating bacteria. They left a sample on the table, and me, thinking it was glue, slathered it in my science project model. You can imagine my surprise when it seemingly vanished in thin air within a few minutes.

"Are we still on this?" I hear my father say as he steps out from the lab. "A no means no Y/n, so stop asking."

My mother stands up and grabs her purse from the kitchen table. "Me and your father are going to the grocery to pick up some organic garbanzo beans. We'll be back later honey."

A give a half hearted wave as I watch them walk out the door and get into their electric flying car.

I sigh. There's got to be something I can do, anything, to prove that I can handle things on my own.

That's when I had an idea.

I quickly open the door of the lab and go in, racing to the back. There's a huge white sheet with something behind it. Something that they don't want me to know about.

I pull the sheet down and throw it to the side...it's exactly what I thought.

A few weeks ago, I walked in on my dad putting this sheet up. Once he saw that I was in the lab, he quickly finished hanging it up and only said "Don't touch this. This machine is perfect for you, but you can't know," and simply walked me out the door.

Now, I know that he was right.

Standing in front of me was a huge time travel machine. It had all kinds of buttons and gadgets, and an enclosed case for a person to be in.

Without thinking much about it, I sat the date to 2016, and entered the enclosed case.

My parents will trust me when I get back safely from my one of my favorite decades, and hopefully I'll have fun while proving my point.

The machine begins to shake and make weird beeping and swirling noises. I soon begin to feel very faint.

Before I could have a second thought, the light around me goes white, and I can't see, hear, or feel anything.

The last thing I can remember was falling to the ground, the sound of music filling my ears.