2.8: Ulterior

The door swung closed behind me and left me to embrace the cold winter air - with each inhale the choked up feeling in my lungs eased

The door swung closed behind me and left me to embrace the cold winter air - with each inhale the choked up feeling in my lungs eased. The warm air that had wrapped around me within the club had slowly been draining me of all energy; like it was curling its fingers around my neck and squeezing.

The pause outside the club allowed me to take stock of my current predicament. Violet hadn't been particularly helpful in finding Thana, and a rather lacklustre conversation with a vampire named Nika before I'd left proved just as unfruitful; if anything they confirmed that my hope was likely wasted and I was leading myself to misery. I had lost my friend and there wasn't a trail to follow.

Even being lost in thought it didn't take me long to notice the eyes that had fallen on me. A limber man was leaning against the wall outside of the door with a cigarette in hand. He was inhaling slowly, taking small and slow draws of the cigarette as his eyes watched me like a hawk. The smell of a cigarette is one I'd rather forget; musky and painful with a dissipating fog making it travel in my direction.

Despite this I peered closer at the man and grasped enough of his features to recognise him; the vampire that had sourly crept away from under me when Violet requested it. I'd been sober when I met him, and completely attracted - if I hadn't seen Violet that night I would've gone along with him without a second doubt.

"Dom," I smiled, taking the cigarette from his hand and keeping a grasp of it. He smiled quizzically as he raised up from the wall.

As the memories of our first encounter come to mind I wonder why I hadn't gone with Dom that night, instead of Violet. Sure she was alluring, but Dom was just as captivating. The kind of man that you'd show off to your friends, hold onto at parties so his attention isn't diverted, and perhaps hide from your parents. The kind of handsome that leaves you staring at them with glazed over eyes because you're lost in their beauty. His short blonde hair, blue eyes and chiselled features were picture-perfect "handsome," as if someone took every stereotype of a good-looking man, stirred them in a pot, poured them into a mould and baked them into this man.

"Viviana," He replied happily, but his smile faded as soon as it appeared. I'd stared at him quizzically as he stared at the club door before asking sternly, "You're back for Violet, aren't you?"

It wasn't something I had expected him to say, but it was certainly something I'd heard a couple of times today. If I thought Violet was this wanted, perhaps I would have sunk my teeth into Dom instead - without the literal sinking of teeth perhaps?

"No," I say honestly, trying not to sound as offended as I had been the previous times I had heard the accusation. A flicker of relief had washed over his face and a smirk had replaced the frown that was once there.

"Then what are you here for sunshine?" He said as he took the cigarette from my hand. I didn't realise the level of relief I'd feel to be rid of the thing - the smell was becoming intoxicatingly awful. I'd regarded smoking as a disgusting habit; the smell alone covering every fibre and slither of exposed skin. That alone I'd learned from my mother, who was an avid smoker; walking around the house with a cigarette in hand making every piece of furniture smell like smoked charcoal; which often left my father coming home cranky and frustrated with her.