Chapter 30: Welcome To Happy City

"Hey, Splendid, do you remember the time we flew over the lake?"

"Uh, yeah, I think so... Was it the one near the flower beds?"

"Yeah, that one. And do you also remember that you dropped me?"

"Oh, that," said Splendid, chuckling. "Yeah, I remember. Good ol' times!"

Flaky smiled and punched Splendid playfully on the shoulder. "Good times my ass! They were only good because you weren't the one that fell in the water!"

"But I came in afterwards, didn't I?" Splendid protested. "That counts!"

Flaky huffed and turned her head back to the window. "Whatever! Excuses, excuses!"

Splendid laughed heartily. He was glad to see Flaky smiling so cheerfully again. She had been rather down lately. It worried him. But right now, he just enjoyed the precious moments. He peered out the window.

"Man, airplanes are awesome! I never imagined flying this high! Here, look- we're even higher than the clouds!" Splendid exclaimed, amazed.

Flaky giggled. To be honest, she expected more fear than joy. Her first plane ride was a horror. It was bad enough she was already a wreck to begin with that day. Turbulence sure got your nerves working. She guessed it was because Splendid was already used to the idea of flying around in the air.

"Yeah.. If anything, it makes me feel a lot taller!" Flaky joked.

Splendid's small snickers soon elevated into merry laughs. He had such a warm, happy laugh. Flaky couldn't help it- she sorta missed the way Splendid brought her hopes up. She sighed and puffed her cheeks.

"Dang it, Splendid." she muttered under her breath.

"Huh? Did you say something?"

"N-No! Of course not...!" Flaky stuttered, avoiding eye-contact. Splendid replied with a simple 'oh', then turned away. Flaky could tell he was somewhat curious or probably confused because he kept sneaking glances at her.

Anyways, the plane ride took hours! Probably half a day. Splendid slept through most of it, but Flaky remained awake throughout it all. Whenever she closed her eyes, the image of Flippy crossed her mind. It really put her on edge. When they finally landed, Flaky attempted to get up from her seat, but her feet seemed strangely numb with a stinging tingling and she stumbled back into the cushioned chair.

U-Uh oh...! This has happened before...! Gosh, it sucks. Flaky thought to herself and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Splendid asked, yawning and stretching his arms out.

"I, um.." Flaky explained nervously, fidgeting slightly. "I c-c-can't walk."

Splendid's head cocked downwards a little like a confused baby bird. "Why?"

"My feet's numb. I can't even stand..."

"Oh!" Splendid said, a wave of relief washing over him. Flaky blinked, perplexed. What's he so relieved about? Hello, I'm stuck here! I hope he doesn't think I'm gonna crawl my way out of this!

"I'll just carry you then." Splendid stated bluntly.

"W-What?!" Flaky blubbered, as if Splendid had said something unbelievable.

"Really, its no problem. Here- get on my back!" Splendid said, grinning. Flaky looked around and saw a couple of the passengers staring at them. Her face turned red as a ripe cherry. Oh, man!  Flaky groaned in her mind as she climbed up on Splendid's back. She wrapped her arms around his neck as Splendid held her legs.