CH.1 - the queens' brother

ˑ༄ؘ ۪۪۫۫ ▹▫◃ ۪۪۫۫ ༄ؘ ˑ

[lowercase intended]

CH.1 - the queens' brother

when kai was younger, he always desired attention and validation. his parents and the rest of his relatives avoided him, only his little sister nya was always by the young mersharks side. they were inseparable until he learned about elemental powers and the hierarchy of his kin. when he was ten and his sister eight, nya was taken away by relatives because she was a water elemental. the power of water had been passed on in the royal family for decades. but not everyone was fit to be a water elemental: there were mersharks without power and even fire elementals. those who possessed the power of fire were looked down on and judged. it was a gift powerful on land, but practically useless underwater.

the time where nya was away was long and frustrating. he could barely endure it. on her 14th birthday, nya returned. kai was sixteen at the time and understood the laws and justice of their world better than when they were young. he always hated his family for taking her away, but now he understood that it had absolutely nothing to do with him. he did not have the power of water and therefore practically worthless. a few years ago he overheard a conversation from his parents, who were both water elementals:

"we can't let kai be seen with nya, she's too important" his father, said.

"I know... I just feel bad for him. we have to keep them apart, for our family" maya, his mother, replied.

"for our family" his father repeated sternly.

there was only a week left before nya's coronation. new queens have to be crowned shortly before their 15th birthday, that's how it has been done for decades.

kai was on his way to her room, today she had to try on her dress for the ceremony so they would have time to change something in case something goes wrong. he swam into her room after knocking a specific sequence they made as kids so they would always know it's them and not someone else. they called it 'kaya', a combination of their names. as he entered the spacious room he couldn't help but smile at his sister: she wore a white dress with a v-neck and golden ornaments. it covered most of her tail and a maid was just about to add a veil over her face. nya's hair was kept loose, golden shells used as hairpins held strands back from falling into her face. there were thin wings made out of lace added to the back of the dress, swaying with every move. she looked beautiful.

"hello, kai" she greeted: "already back from lunch?"

"yeah. mister walker almost bumped into a group of stingrays, you should've seen his face" he says and grins. nya chuckles slightly, turning her head back to the mirror to examine how she looked.

"you know, this might be one of the last times we'll have time to hold a conversation, right?" she says sadly: "I wish... I wish I just wasn't a water elemental. I don't even want to be queen, and I certainly not want to never see you again."

"what are you talking about, silly! we'll see each other every day after your coronation. I'm your brother after all and part of the royal family as well. even if I'm not as important as you or our parents"

he swims forward and carefully takes her hands in his: "it never bothered you that I did not have any power. you were always by my side the majority of my life and now it's time for me to repay you. I promise." he says reassuringly, determination and affection in his eyes.

"thank you kai, but..." she had a concerned look on her face: "but please do not do anything stupid while I'm away, okay?"

"I won't, sis"

"swear it" she demands softly.

"if you insist. I, kai, member of the royal family and sister of soon-to-be queen nya, hereby solemnly swear that I will not do anything stupid while you are not here to protect me"

after a bit of silence, both start giggling and then burst out laughing.

"your highness, please try to not move so much" a servant interrupts them, adjusting the golden armbands and accessories nya is wearing.

there was a knock on the door:

"your highness, I have come to ask if kai might be at your side at the moment?" a familiar voice asks.

"you can come in jay, he's here with me" nya responds: "and you don't have to be so formal. I'll still be your friend even after becoming the queen" she chuckles. jay walker was the guardian and protector of nya and the royal family. he was quite clumsy most of the time, but proved himself to be worthy of his rank after finding out he holds one of the rarest powers that have ever existed: he was a lightning elemental. water is one of the best conductors for electricity, making jays power one of the deadliest. in all honesty, kai was surprised his parents haven't locked him up already. they grew up together, but he still was a danger to the entire folk of the mershark. he guessed that they wanted to keep him in a good mood so he would not betray his kin. the three of them had already talked about the topic, planning to let jay be nyas personal protector and bodyguard so no one would dare to exile him to land. if a mershark went on land, their tail and fins will disappear and legs will form, but they can't dry out or else survival would be impossible. another reason none of the mersharks lived with the landgoers was their blueish and grey skin tone, which would only become a bit more flesh-coloured on land. this feature would clearly distinguish them from humans meaning they almost had one foot in their grave. landgoers and mersharks hated each other ever since the beginning of time. by now, most of the humans had forgotten about them, their people only existing in stories of old sailors and drunk marauders. but that doesn't mean they don't have an enemy, an enemy so persistent that they will never miss a chance for the mersharks to be hunted to death: the pirates. dangerous packs of bad-mannered thieves that sailed the oceans looking for treasures to find and ships to rob. kai despised them with all of his heart.

- 1,059 words