Chapter 2-I Made A New Friend (I Think?)

My best friend Amy and I were walking down the hallway from our lockers towards the staircase  for our first class on when we saw Ms Clarke putting up a sign on the music room door. It was thursday morning, the day after our last band practice and we wanted to see if anythings changed. We decided to go and take a look, then instantly regretted it. The sign read:

ATTENTION! THERE WILL BE NO BAND PRACTICE OR OTHER EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES TODAY OR IN THE FUTURE DUE TO THE TEACHER STRIKES! 

           THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, MS. CLARKE

"What? Already?" I said, "I thought this was happening next week!" 

"I was really looking forward to band!" moaned Amy after she finished reading the  announcement. "We only got two band practices to play those new pieces after winter break!" 

"And I didn't even get to play the full size tuba yet!" I complained.

"Actually, the school will be permitting students to bring home school instruments to practice for music class, so you can still practice your band pieces at home on the full size tuba " responded Ms. Clarke, before walking away.

It wouldn't be the same as regular band practice, Amy and I agreed. We can't play with others at home, or show off the tuba to the rest of the band members, but it was better than nothing at all.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

"Are you really bringing that on the bus?"

It's Friday afternoon, and after putting on all my winter clothes, I went by the music room to pick up my full size tuba. I want to bring home the tuba to practice, but mom and dad can't drive me home as they are at work, so I'm stuck lugging the tuba onto the public bus. My bus - pass hangs around my neck, swinging as I drag the school tuba. It's much easier to transport this tuba compared to the 3/4 sized one because of the wheels at the bottom of the case, but it still feels like it's a million pounds.

"No, seriously. Do you need help with that?" I look over to the speaker and see a girl leaning against a locker. I've seen her in the cafeteria before, but I only recognise her by sight. Today, she wore tight blue jeans that was ripped like she had cut it herself, a long red plaid sleeve shirt unbuttoned with a black t-shirt underneath. She had short black hair, with long bangs dyed red covering her dark brown eyes. That was weird, since the last time I had saw her, her hair was lime green

"I guess it wouldn't hurt," I replied, "I'm Skyler, you?"

"I'm Macy," she said, "I think we take the same bus, right?"

I've see her on my bus a lot, so I nodded. She took the tuba from me, then started walking towards the exit at a much faster pace that I could ever manage while lugging my tuba.

I opened the school exit for her, and we walked outside. Macy tried to drag the tuba through the snow, but the small wheels got jammed with snow and slush. So I picked up the tuba from the second handle at the back of the case and we carried the tuba to the bus.

Once we got in the bus (with some difficulty), it was pretty easy to get a seat. The students that were seated moved from their spots when they saw the tuba, so that we can sit in the handy cap seats at the front.

"What are you doing after school?" Macy asked after our bus left. The bus was now packed with students from our school, and the bus driver decided we could not hold anymore people, and left. 

"The usual!" I replied, "Homework. Thanks for helping me with the tuba."

"No problem" she replied. 

After a short bus ride, and what was supposed to be a short walk that took forever carrying my tuba, I unlocked the door to my house, and was greeted by my cat. 

My cat raced to the door, and with some difficulty, slammed the door behind me. "Nope!" I say to my cat, as the glare at me annoyingly. I dropped my backpack onto the floor  as I scoop my cat into my arms. "No runnings away!" I say in a high pitched voice that I only use with her. I slipped off my boots, then carried her over to her favourite couch and put her down.

I walk over to the radio that sits on a small bookshelf in the corner, and turn it on then switch it to a news radio station. I don't listen to it often but every once in a while I would try to catch up on the news. I bring my tuba into the other corner of the living room, then carry my back pack to the kitchen table. I take out my lunch kit, water bottle, and homework from my bag to put it away in the closet by the door. I'm about to empty my lunch bag when I hear something from the radio that catches my interest, so I walk over and turn up the volume.

"The Australian bush fires continue to rage." reported the reporter, "Higher temperatures are expected today and nearly a quarter million people were told to evacuate their homes in the states of Victoria and New South Wales. The statistics are quite alarming. At least 27 people have died and around 2000 homes destroyed. Experts are also saying that as many as a billion animals could be dead."

"What the..." I said, as I complete the sentence with a few chosen words my parents don't like.