CHAPTER FIFTEEN

In the morning, I gradually came to. I heard the muffled chatter of the busy city streets filled with travelers and townsfolk just passed the balcony doors and below. I felt myself nestled into Doc's chest and conveniently given the opportunity to listen to his breathing. The faintest wheezing reverberated through his chest. I knew Doc was due for another shot of his medicine tomorrow and I also knew we would inevitably run out of it and not be able to go back to the Clantons or Ringo for anything...not after last night.

Doc's arms tightened gently around me;
"Good morning," he grumbled softly.

"Good morning," I couldn't help but grin at his disheveled appearance when I raised my head to gaze at his face.

"What are you staring at?" Doc asked even though his eyes remained closed.

"Obviously you," I said, "Your hair and stubble are as wild as I've ever seen them."

Doc turned over onto his back, pulling me with him so my chest was against his.

"It's funny you mention that; I was thinking to visit the barber today."

"Very well," I replied, "I need to visit Louisa and return the dress she lent me."

We laid there in silence for a moment before Doc's eyes finally opened.

"Would you like to go out again tonight? I'm sure Louisa wouldn't mind going another night without that one dress. However," he swallowed, "You can wear whatever you please, darlin, you look stunning in anything. Monday nights are hardly anything to dress up for anyhow."

The wheels of my mind turned, giddy at the thought of being Doc's date once again. But those happy notions were distinguished quickly.

"Do you think it's safe? I mean, do you think the Cowboys would show up?"

Doc's face tightened as he too considered the possibility.

"You'll be safe with me, Joanna. The Birdcage has no shows for tonight so I doubt the attendance would be as great as it was last night at The Oriental. Wouldn't you say?"

Doc's eyes bore into mine searching for any inkling of concern remaining.

"You're right. Besides, my uncles will be there too," I smiled simply at him. Kissing his cheek, I rolled away from Doc and stood up off the bed which elicited a huff of discontent from him.

"I was extremely comfortable before you decided to leave me alone," Doc said sarcastically.

I chuckled and crawled back towards him, extending my arms to hover over top of his body; "You'll survive."

Pecking his lips, I removed myself from him once again.

"You are a tease, madam," Doc replied as he sat up as well, "But I forgive you. Shall we meet tonight at the Oriental around seven?"

"That sounds reasonable, sure," I smiled at him as I moved towards the door, "I'll see you then."

Doc nodded, smirking slightly before I left the room, tip-toeing across the hallway quickly.
—————————————————————

Outside on the streets the sun slowly began to warm the air as it rose up, illuminating the dry terrain on this mid-October day. Walking along carrying Louisa's dress, I wondered if ever it ever snowed in Tombstone and tried to picture the crisp white powder consuming every surface in sight in the cold months of winter. But then I began to also wonder, will I still be in Tombstone by winter? Once Doc was cured, if he ever reached that point, what would become of us? Would I stay in Tombstone? Doc cared for me and I for him, however, I hadn't any idea what would happen in the weeks to come. And the thought of the unknown terrified me. The future was much more concerning, now that I had...What did I have?