Chapter 32

Ezio

My sun.

Because with the sunrise and sunset comes beginnings and endings and everything in between. Because with the sun comes scorching heat and brilliant light and golden splendor. Because the sun is the center—the galaxy's power. The empress.

Chulrys. My sun.

I called her that long before I realized why.

Now a cowardly part of me tells me to stop. I wouldn't dare tell her what the word means, because...because...

I don't know why. I'm embarrassed, I guess.

I had thought she was going to kiss me. I wanted her to kiss me. But then I had to go and open my stupid mouth and call her my sun again, and she bristled. Shrank back and spewed more names at me.

If only.

Indra's wing eventually draped over us to shield us from the rain. The night was cold. And wet. I didn't complain, because I was so close to her I barely dared to breathe lest I wake her up. I eventually fell asleep myself, I think, though when I woke, she was already up, having picked handfuls of half-ripe strawberries. Her lips are stained red with the juice.

"You're staring."

I blink. "No, I'm not."

She stuffs another berry in her mouth, tossing another one to me.

I pop it into my mouth and grimace. "These are just as sour as you, princess. You shouldn't be able to handle that much bitterness."

Djuna pulls a lock of hair over her shoulder and twirls it around her finger. "Oh, couldn't I?" She chews on her lip. "No, you're right. I've got my hands full with you."

I sit halfway up, resting back on my elbows. "I don't know what you are talking about, love. I'm as sweet as summer rain."

"And I'm as sour as...?"

I consider. "Acid rain."

"Acid?" she cries.

Yes, because you melt me down to my barest essence. Decimated. Annihilated.

I'm treading through poisonous waters, but I don't know the antidote. The tension from last night...I can't tell if it's gone or just changed positions.

"We can both agree that I'm the sweet one, right?" I grin, teasing a semblance of sincerity into my eyes.

Djuna laughs. My heart lurches. "Right, you're the sweetest. Like semle pudding, aren't you, darling." The sarcasm is dripping. Oozing.

But my breath hitches against my will when darling escapes her lips.

In the fabric of the universe, I feel an abrupt shudder. An unraveling. Low in my gut, an unsettled sense dwells. My brows stretch together. What...?

Djuna's eyes go distant as her hand drifts to the wound at her side. I wonder how much it's healed. Suddenly her face hardens. She wraps a strip of creamy cloth around her hair and ties it on top like a headband. "We need to get moving."

"Why?" I know why. That disturbance. But maybe Djuna knows more than I do.

"Two reasons. Three, actually. First, I need to find Namiko. Second, those Griffari could be coming any moment. And third..." her voice trails off. It's shaky when she speaks again. "I felt something. An exploding release, over and over. I found death. I found battle, Ezio."