for the rest of my life.

For the rest of my life

"Mark Lee!"

She will always chase after me.

"Wait up!"

No matter what I say, she keeps the flame lit in her heart.

"Slow down, please!"

No matter what I do, she'll always find a way to make the first move.

"Here!"

Running in the rain with no umbrella, she handed over to me my missing wallet. It was the wallet I treasured, which is why I made a massive fit over it during our lunch break. Nonstop searching during the break, but here it was in her hands.

"You treasure that wallet a lot, I thought I'd give it to you after class after finding it but you left so quickly," her awkward smile shone despite the rain dripping down her face and body. She had no intentions of getting under my umbrella. Instead, she let herself be one with the rain. "I kept it dry, don't worry."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why Mark?"

"Why are you going lengths for my wallet? To do a good deed? Is it because you like me?" the raise in my voice was inevitable, but I didn't want to shout at her. To see her risk her health for an object that's precious to me was bullshit.

"Yes! So what if I like you?! I've been very expressive about it, but you can't even bat an eye towards me and my efforts!" she was already on her last straw with me. It was better than seeing her risk herself by saying she did it for me. "Can't you give me a chance? Why can't you even look in my direction? Everything I did for you meant nothing to you."

"I can't give you a chance," the response she hoped not to hear was ultimately said. Crying like a fool in front of me was the only thing she could do. Having your heart broken was the worst. As the rain camouflaged her tears that ran down her cheeks, I muttered. "You and I aren't meant to be."

"How do you know that when you've never given me a proper chance to prove myself?" her question made me think, but her sobs continued to test my patience.

"I can't love you in this state. I can't elucidate it clearly for you, but it's better for you to not understand. So that you won't go these lengths, I decided to keep it until there," the words kept going. The honest words that first popped up in my head were all being said. My true intentions. "You keep chasing me like a dog chasing its owner. That's not the type of person I want. Anticipating the best out of a situation which is like an empty shell, isn't healthy."

"But..."

"It suits your name, ironically."

"Mark Lee!"

"Choose someone who would choose you every day unlike me," the first lie of the endless chain of lies started to come out of my mouth. "Choose someone who would love you every day unlike me. Choose someone who would care for you every day unlike me. In conclusion, don't choose me. No matter what happens, never choose me."