CHAPTER ONE // SUNSET

It felt like the longest time. Three years. It had been three long years since you had last seen Benny Rodriguez. You missed him with all of your heart, but you eventually learned how to move past it. You were now convinced that it wasn't meant to be, just because you would never see him again.

You were there to watch Scotty, Squints, Kenny and all of them get older. Some even got girlfriends, but through all of this you always stuck together. They were your main group of friends for all of those years and even now. You could call Scotty your best friend at this point. You guys grew way closer and as both of you got older, you started to have more stuff in common.

Theodore had still been chasing after you for a while but you refused every single time. He had now left the neighbourhood and gone to college so you never saw him anymore. The thing was that Jordan was chasing after you too. You considered it more than you did with Theodore, but still refused.

At this moment, you were at Jordan's house for a summer party with your families. Your moms had gotten closer since they started working together and your mom tried to convince you to be friends with him.

"Y/N, let's play catch."

You heard Jordan's voice call your name again and you turned your attention to him.

"In or out of the pool?" you asked him.

"In, it'll be more fun."

You tried to have the most fun that you could today. You were happy that at least Theodore wasn't there.

"You ready for school to start again?" Jordan asked you.

"Not at all. This summer felt way too short."

"At least we still have two weeks left" Jordan smiled at you and you smiled back sweetly.

"Would you kids like some pizza?" you heard his mom ask the two of you.

"I do, what about you Y/N?"

"Sure, thank you" you responded.

You watched as Jordan stepped out of the pool and held his hand out to you to help you out. You gently grabbed it and blushed slightly as he looked you up and down.

You guys went over to your parents and they handed you plates of pizza.

"C'mon, let's sit" he said. He led you to two beach chairs which were under the shade of a big tree in his backyard.

After a little while of eating, your mom told you that it was time to go home.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow" you waved goodbye to him.

You turned back around when you felt him grab your hand and face you towards him.

"See you later maybe?" he quietly said.

Another thing you guys did was sneak out late at night and hang out at the sandlot. It was something that started at the beginning of summer and neither of your parents knew.

You once almost kissed during one of those times, but it didn't actually happen. One of the things that interrupted was his brother but luckily now he left early for school.

Later that afternoon, you heard a knock on your door and you opened it to see Jordan. He was a lot earlier than usual.

"Hey" you smiled.

"I was thinking that today maybe we could go a bit early" he said and you said sure before he grabbed your hand and you both walked to your usual spot in the sandlot.

You guys sat down and looked up at the beautiful evening view that was upon the both of you.

"Why did you feel like coming early?" you asked him with a smile on your face.

"Sunset" he pointed out to the sky that was filled with beautiful colors of the sunset. You kept your eyes on it the whole time until you finally looked over to Jordan who was looking at you with obvious love in his eyes.

You blushed and leaned your head on his shoulder. It all happened so fast but he leaned down and your lips connected with his. You were kissing Jordan Phillips.

~~

If you guys didn't know from the first book, I'm using Jordan as Phillips' first name since that what some people say it is.