Two: James

Before he'd met Cordelia Carstairs, James thought the only girl he would ever befriend was Lucie. And before he'd met Lucie, he was a spoiled toddler with better interests such as playing with wooden spoons or cuddling his parents. His life began with Daisy and Lucie, and he hoped it would end with them, too.

Only now, he was sure the end of his life was coming soon.

The sky had darkened hours ago, but had been dull the entire day. James dodged bicycles and dog-walkers on the pavement.

"You . . . you absolute nitwit!" Lucie was berating him via phone, something that he had the misfortune of experiencing in person. Since Lucie was in America for uni, that left their frequent spats to be handled through other means. If Lucie could flick him on the forehead through his phone screen, she would. James thanked God that technology hadn't advanced that far yet. "I've been at uni for barely a semester, and you're already flaking out on my best friend!" She emphasized the last bit, as if it were acceptable to flake on others, but God forbid Lucie's bestie.

Although, to be fair, from what James had gathered from Lucie's favorite films, Cordelia was breaking girl code to befriend her best friend's brother.

"I had good reason, Luce, just—just let me handle it. You know, you don't need to butt into personal matters from the other side of the pond."

"My friend's problems are my problems," she said with exasperation. James wanted to tell her to cut the melodrama for her stories, but that would simply anger her more. "And my brother is currently calling me instead of his date."

"Not a date," he interjected. "Two friends hanging out. I don't know why you feel the need to romanticize it. Daisy and I are friends, nothing more. You really have no idea what's going on."

A sigh. "I have no idea what's going on because you're not telling me anything."

"Okay, then. I'll tell you. You were just taking a long while on the scolding, I thought it would be best not to dump my problems into the mix."

Another sigh, this one long and huffy. "Don't tell me, tell Daisy. I'll find out eventually." She hung up without saying goodbye.

James lowered the phone from his cheek and checked the time once more. Eight thirty-six. By now, Cordelia must have undone her hair and changed into pajamas. He was only a ten-minute walk away from her flat. Eight if he was lucky, five if he ran.

It was freezing out, but James picked up the pace.

He ran into the lobby of her building and up three flights of stairs.

James rapped his fist against her door before he could think of something to say to her.

"James?"

She answered the door slowly. Her dark iris peeked out from the crack, framed with long lashes.

"Daisy. I'm so sorry." His parents had raised him better than this. But Cordelia didn't need his shame or guilt right now. She needed the truth and a kind friend. That was all he had to offer. "I was out trying to make you something. That doesn't fix anything, but I hope you know that I'm sorry."

She opened the door completely now. Cordelia was beautiful as always, wearing a dark dress that fit her curves and her scarlet hair up in a knot. She didn't look like a wounded animal. No, she looked like a tiger, waiting to pounce.

"Forty minutes. I hope it's a good surprise," she said, crossing her arms and moving to the sofa behind her. He followed her in and shut the door. James removed his coat, but slipped his gift from the inner pocket.