1

The day I found my pin was like any other day in District Twelve. I was sitting with my sister Mary and bestfriend Clara. For as long as I could remember it's always just been the three of us. My identical twin sister Mary, the outspoken attention seeker. Clara Paine, probably the prettiest girl in the district and the daughter of pharmacists. I always thought it was strange that her last name was Paine and yet her family does everything to do with easing it. 

And me. Maysilee. Normal, average and mundane. I'm not the centre of attention like my sister or stared at by all the boys like Clara. I'm just Maysilee, just there really. 

I sighed and rolled onto my side while hanging off the end of the bed. They were talking about boys. Again. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate boys, quite the opposite. It's just...theres none I like. And more improtantly none that like me. Unless they mistake me for Mary that is. 

Speaking of Mary she gave me a pointed look, which I ignored. She sighed. "I can't even get Tyler to look at me".

I shared a look with Clara and we both smirked. They're both in love with eachother and too afraid to admit it. I shrugged. "Probably because he looks at you every second your not looking at him".

Mary instantly shook her head. "I've just got to get him to notice me".

Clara winked at me before smiling at Mary. "Well then just literally be yourself".

We both erupted into laughter while Mary glared at us. She huffed. "Whatever. You know Clara, I caught Mellark looking at you yesterday".

Clara cringed and I frowned up at her. "You should give him a chance. Mellark is nice and kinda cute an-".

Clara rolled her eyes and hit my shoulder cutting me off mid-sentance. "Then you date him, Maysilee".

I sat upwright and shook my head at the thought. 

She suddenly smiled at us. "Besides have you guys checked out the Seam boys recently?". 

She did the girliest sigh and this time I blanched. Not because I'm against the Seam or boys from the Seam. But, for the first time ever Clara has a crush. A massive one based off the sudden goo-goo eyes.

I smirked at her. "You went to the Seam?".

She frowned slightly. "Well, no. But theres this guy in my histroy class from the Seam an-".

"Abouslety not!". 

We both whipped our heads towards Mary who stared us both down hard. "You're parents would disown you, Clara".

I bit my lip and sank down against the bed-rest. She's not wrong. There's a class system in District Twelve. The merchants, who run stalls, stores and small business. Then theres the Seam. The poorest of us all, the coal miners. The beggers...the...where you go to die. 

In saying all that, I wouldn't know if the Seam would accept someone like Clara. Even if her family had disowned her. But I've never seen her this happy before. 

I tusked. "Just...really think it through before you do anything. Okay?".

Clara's eyes swept over the both us. As if, for the first time waking up from some love dazed dream and accepting the reality of her sistuation. "Okay".

That afternoon I found myself outside the Mellark bakery. It's in the city circle, where most of the Merchants live. I have eight gold coins. A luxtury in this part of Panem. And a dilemma. A cupcake or a bag of sweets from the shop next to it. Descisions, decsions...