Chapter One and Only

Dust gathered on the blades of the brown wooden fan.  It had a silver base holding on to the blades, and the part connecting to the ceiling was silver as well.  The chain hanging down from the fan was silver as well.  I walked down the hallway that housed the object.  It sat nice and still.  Sweat started to develop on my forehead.  I needed something to cool myself off.   Hmmm...  What could possibly help me in this situation? 

      I stopped and looked up, noticing my answer.  The ceiling fan!  My hand reached up and my fingers wrapped around the silver bottom of the chain.  I yanked it downward.  The machine's acceleration was slow, but eventually it picked up speed.  The blades spun faster and faster.

     "Ahhhhh,"  I said in relief.  The cool air felt nice on my face.  Suddenly, the fan spun too fast and sparks flew from the ceiling.  What was happening?  The blades spun so fast I couldn't see them anymore.  A snap came from above my head and I saw a brown piece of wood fly to the wall.  It hit the wall so hard it was latched in, and didn't budge.  I tried to run, but the air, instead of blowing out, started to suck inward.  My desperate steps to get out of this hallway were meaningless.  The suction was too strong.  What was I to do?

       Wait.  The chain was still in tact.  However, I had to do something very risky.  I had to let the air suck me in to reach the chain.  On the count of three.  One... two... THREE.

       I let go of all my struggles, let all tensions relax.  The suction pulled me closer and closer to the spinning, deadly blades.  I slowly reached out my hand.  The chain was right there!  I gripped the hanging piece of silver and pulled it down as hard as I could.  I felt the suction slowly start decreasing, but the chance of getting chopped up into dead meat was still probable.  Literally, dead meat chopped up into fine, seasoned slices, served on a silver platter.  To try to prevent this, I grabbed on to the silver middle part of the fan.  It was shaking violently.  As I hung on for my life, the air got weaker and it changed from air sucking to air blowing.  I fell off the middle part and collapsed to the floor.  After another thirty seconds, I heard the fan go silent and the blades that were left stopped completely.  I put myself together and took some deep breaths.  Wiping the sweat off my face, I slowly got to my feet.

       "You stupid fan,"  I said as I looked up at its mangled remains.  I walked away from it, planning never to look back.

                                                  THE END