Chapter Seven: Uncharted Waters

Hello.

This is Wong.

If you asked my opinion about all that has happened so far - not that anyone would - I'd tell you that Roberto is an idiot, always has been, always will be. Who else but an idiot would gather a couple of freaks, fill their heads with super hero crap and push them into the world to get killed? I have to admit they could do some impressive - and in some cases downright creepy - stuff, but they weren't ready for the responsibility of someone's life. And honestly, neither was I.

I'd approached Roberto the night before our 'expedition' for a little talk. He was in his office poring over road maps. I waited until he was aware of my presence, and without his offering, I took the seat furthest from him.

"Wong, how can I aim to serve you?" He asked warily. It was an informal joke that had developed over the years. I never came to his office if I didn't have something to gripe about. I didn't disappoint.

"How can you be so fucking selfish, putting our lives at risk so you can find your kid who got kidnapped right under your nose? I don't care how good your plans are, I want out."

Roberto raised an eyebrow. "I thought I told you, no swearing in my office?"

I mumbled out an apology. He kept his eyebrow raised but let it pass.

"Well to be honest I don't think my plans are that good."

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. If he saw my expression he did a really good job of not reacting. He sighed a bit and had a slight smile.

"I think we'll just wing it."

I scoffed. Just like Roberto to be impulsive, exactly like Alyssa. We all must have been really blind to not have noticed the resemblance.

"Have you told anyone else?" I asked.

He shrugged and gave me a look. I was smart enough to see where this was going but it was just too tempting to resist. I had to give it to him; the man knew how to lay a trap. I gave him my best condescending expression.

"I can't stand you but I won't let them go out there without a plan. They'll get skewered."

"Then don't. Come with us. You're a quick thinker and your input could change things."

I was in the trap, and it was ironically funny, knowing how things would turn out yet still allowing them to. I started to protest but he silenced me with a glance as he pulled on the metaphorical noose. "Besides I think they're all hyped that you're coming. They'd want to know why you changed your mind if you didn't."

Which I inferred to mean: they all want to know if you're as smart as you say you are. Don't be a pussy.

I glared at him for a long time and he held my gaze then I gave in. The last thing I wanted was anyone questioning my genius status. Even if you don't approve of it, you've got to appreciate my predicament. Building an image is hard work and letting go of it is even harder. All my usual blustering and bluffing managed to convince everyone that it was in their best interest to generally keep their conversations with me casual and avoid any unnecessary prodding. I knew I was unusual and didn't want anyone getting suspicious of me. But now that I knew that there were other unusual students, I felt a little less guarded. Perhaps I could lay off the usual sarcasm a bit.

Or not.

The next morning I was the first person to report to the rendezvous point, figured if I was going I might as well be punctual. Roberto didn't seem to take any special notice of me when he finally showed up almost thirty minutes later. That was why my eyes nearly popped out of its sockets when Roberto gave me a book just before our trip to Fairborne. It was a compendium of medical conditions and procedures for military first aid. Underneath the title was scribbled in Robbie's signature script.