Chapter 19: Conclusion

As their powers clashed, a bright light enveloped Bellona and Artemisia. Zane shielded his eyes as the light grew brighter, sweeping towards the Elanans and the Skathi guards. Bellona let out one final agonized scream as the collision caused an explosion, sending everyone flying backwards. When the light died down, Zane finally worked up the courage to open his eyes. He blinked a few times in amazement as Emilia, Omar, Samuel and Ivy reappeared from the dust. The two couples embraced upon realizing that they were alive and well once more.

"LIEF!" Catherina shouted, rushing towards her husband upon realizing he was still alive. Lief quickly pulled away from the Skathi guard and stumbled into his wife's arms. Happy tears poured down Catherina's cheeks upon reuniting with Lief.

"I missed you too, Rina." Lief softly murmured, burying his face in her hair. Zane exhaled a sigh of relief upon seeing everyone together. However, his heart suddenly sunk upon realizing he didn't know where Artemisia was.

"Artemis? Artemisia?" Zane called out, looking around for any sign of Artemisia. As he continued his search, his fellow Elanans joined in. Eventually, Zane stumbled upon the crater left behind by Bellona and Artemisia's battle. Sure enough, Artemisia laid motionless at the bottom, with a pile of ash beside her.

"Artemis!" Zane cried out, rushing down into the crater. Once he got close enough, he scooped Artemisia up into his arms. He brushed the bangs out of her face in an attempt to get a better look at her, unaware that the Skathi rune on her forehead had disappeared.

"Come on Artemis! Please wake up!" Zane insisted. After a few moments, Artemisia's eyes began to flutter open.

"Z... Zane?" Artemisia softly asked, shifting uncomfortably. Zane began to tear up upon realizing she was alive, quickly pulling her into an embrace.

"Don't worry. I'm here." Zane warmly stated, giving Artemisia a soft squeeze. When the two pulled away, Zane noticed the icy blue of Artemisia's eyes fade away, leaving them a brilliant green color.

"Uh guys? You might want to see this." Omar commented. With some help, the two climbed out of the crater and immediately noticed a change in their surroundings. The snow and ice began to melt around them as the sun peaked through the trees.

"What did you do?" Zane inquired, glancing down at Artemisia.

"My mother was the last one to have a connection to Skadi. I tried to heal her broken heart, since that was what bonded them together in the first place. I think I made her powers go back to where they came from, but it killed her in the process. Now that Skadi has no influence over us, she has no influence over the land either." Artemisia explained, trying to make sense of what was happening.

"Does this mean you aren't a Skathi anymore?" Emilia happily exclaimed. Artemisia concentrated for a minute, trying to conjure some sort of power in response to Emilia's question. "It would seem so." Artemisia replied, overjoyed by the fact that she was an Elanan.

"Well? Now what?" Samuel asked, unsure of what they were supposed to do next. Artemisia glanced over towards the Skathi guards, who were busy removing their helmets and discussing their new looks. Slowly, Artemisia pulled away from Zane and approached the guards. They eyed her cautiously, unsure if she was going to give them any further commands.

"You are free to leave. There is nothing left for you here." Artemisia stated, hoping their newfound freedom would be a welcomed change. The guards exchanged a confused look before turning back towards Artemisia.

"You are the last Salvatore, aren't you?" One guard inquired.

"Yes. I am." Artemisia confirmed. The guards shared one more look before dropping to one knee in front of Artemisia.