three

" Yumna, beta yeh paaye ka soup Dadi ke liye aur keema, Abba ke liye" Gulaisha showed her the two different containers before placing them in the mesh bag.

Yumna felt her eyes moisten hearing that. It was very painful saying goodbye to this wonderful family. Especially her Phupho.

" Aur yeh geeli haldi ka achaar tumhaare liye" she again showed her a glass bottle and place it beside the containers.

" Sohai, beta parathey ban gaye?" Gulaisha asked her elder bahu from the living room and Sohai waddled up to her with the parathey wrapped up in a cotton cloth.

" Ammi yeh chaawal bhi" Sohai kept the steel container on the table and sat down on a chair, tired from making parathey.

Gulaisha had denied her request when she had volunteered to make them but Sohai being the stubborn and dramatic girl she is, had her ways of convincing her Ammi!
The woman even allowed her to make baghaarey chaawal with it!

" Bhabhi aapne khamaka hi taqleef ki" Yumna said guiltily.

What if Sohai was cursing her in her mind? What if she would complain about what a pain she has been, the minute she leaves this house?

" Tum mujhse baat na hi karo toh behtar hain Yumna" Sohai turned her face away from the young girl who looked ready to cry.

See, she was right. Sohai Bhabhi loathed even the sight of her!

" Hmmm" Yumna hummed, not trusting herself to act rationally after that.

She knew she would cry any moment now. First the separation with her Phupho and now this guilt of being a burden on her Bhabhi.

" Bhabhi ki baat ka koi asar hi nahi hain. Value hi nahi hain jaise meri" Sohai turned around to her and Yumna felt even more scared now.

She knew she would have upset someone with one thing or the other. That's why she's been denying Yaaseen. He doesn't know that no one can stay happy with her.

" Maine kaha tum ruk jaaon par nahi, tumhe toh Bhabhi se door jaana hain. Ha Bhai, tumhaari sagi Bhabhi thode hi hoon, tum toh aise hi karogi na" Sohai fake cried and Yumna felt her heart lurching at that.

What was she talking about? Sohai Bhabhi is more of a sister than anyone ever has been or will be. She considers this family as hers rather than what she will acquire after her brother marries.

" Bhabhi aise toh nahi kahein, aap jaanti hain na Abba aur Dadi akele hain" Yumna sat down at her feet and held her hands in hers.

She would never leave here if given the chance. And ironically, she had denied that very offer!

" Toh main keh rahi hoon na, Mamu aur Nani ko bhi yaha lein aatein hain" Sohai now pouted at Gulaisha who gave her a small smile.

She had talked with her brother and he had very politely refused to come stay with them. He didn't want to be a burden on his only sister. Especially the sister he had abandoned due to his wife. He cannot look into the same eyes that had shed tears due to his lack of courage and inability to stop his wife's atrocities.

" Sohai, usse jaanein dou. Khamaka hi bachhi jaatein hue royegi" Gulaisha swiped the hair from Sohai's forehead and then kissed Yumna on the head too.

" Par isse kahein Ammi ki roz humse milne aayein, warna maine baat nahi karni hain isse" Sohai pouted stubbornly and Yumna finally breathed easy.

Maybe she is welcome here after all.

" Vaada! Roz aaungi" Yumna immediately promised and Sohai looked at her with narrowed eyes.