Chapter One

Braden

Early mornings in the city were my favorite time of day. There was a certain kind of enjoyable ambiance that only came when I was wandering the streets at three AM, searching for a criminal to beat up. Vigilantism certainly kept my life interesting.

    "Find anything suspicious yet, Crow?" I asked, pressing a finger to the button on my earpiece. All of the  technology in my secret base was operated by my friend Caleb Cartwright, AKA Green Crow. He was an adept technopath, and without his expert help, my vigilante career would have been halted years ago. "I'm getting kinda bored here."

    "I just picked up an armed robbery alert at a 7-11 close to your location," he answered through the comm. "You should be able to make it in a couple minutes if you hurry."

    "Nice timing," I muttered under my breath as I began to run. Fortunately, my set of superpowers included heightened physical abilities, including enhanced speed. I also had the power to control people with my voice, but some people could resist my compulsion if their willpower was strong enough.

    When I got to the 7-11 parking lot, I reached into my utility belt and whipped out my collapsible baton. I had learned from years of experience to be prepared for danger.

When I entered the store, I didn't see a typical robber wielding a handgun and wearing a ski mask. Instead, there was a tall, dark-skinned man leaning casually against the counter, as nonchalant as a cat. He was obviously well-built; his muscles were clearly defined through his black jumpsuit, and he wore a thin black mask that covered his neck and the lower half of his face, plus black combat boots, gloves, and a utility belt.

    "Golden Fox," he said with an easygoing tone, causing me to tense up. I noticed that he had a faint South African accent, which I found unfairly attractive. I was a sucker for tall guys with cool accents. "I was hoping it'd be you."

    I grinned at him. "Well, that makes sense. I am the most fabulous vigilante in Blackstone Bay, after all."

    He chuckled, moving a few steps closer to me with long-legged strides. I bent my knees, ready to either strike or dodge, depending on what the situation called for. "I like your confidence."

    He glanced over his shoulder at the young cashier, who looked terrified for her life. "Oh, you can go now."

    The cashier stumbled and fell as she made a dash for the exit. I helped her up and whispered, "Call the authorities when you get outside."

    She nodded vigorously and ran.

    I stared at the black-clad criminal, craning my neck a little to look him in the face. I was average height, but my eyes were level with his chin. "So, what do they call you? You already know who I am, obviously, but I've never seen you around before."

    I saw the outline of a smile beneath his thin mask. "I'm new in town. Call me Dreadblade."

    I scoffed. "Really, dude? That name sounds straight out of a cheesy old horror movie."

    He winked. "The only straight thing about me is my aim."

    "What?"

    My quick reflexes saved me from being stabbed by a thrown blade. I was able to deflect it with my baton, and the projectile shattered against the floor.

    "Did you just throw a piece of glass at me?" I asked incredulously.

    "Brilliant observation skills," Dreadblade said dryly, reaching into his utility belt and pulling out something that looked like a short metal rod. He flicked his wrist, and the rod unfolded into a spear. "Obsidian, to be specific. Alright, enough stalling. Let's see what you've got, little fox."