chapter 1

Atsumu and Osamu walked close together down the sidewalk. On the right, there was a row of houses. Atsumu ran his hands over the top of the small white picket fences. Osamu was closest to the street on the left. He kicked some rocks off the sidewalk and onto the road. They hadn't been walking for very long, and yet, Atsumu's chest had started to hurt again.

"'Samu", he said as he stopped walking.

"Do we hafta go home?", Osamu looked over at him and frowned slightly.

"Nah, 'guess not.", Atsumu shrugged and kept walking.

Osamu shuffled his hair as he smiled, "We should make the best outta it then, huh?" Atsumu grinned.

Damn, it wasn't his fault he was born with a rare heart disease. The pain was bearable for now, and he didn't want to ruin this nice walk for his brother. Poor Osamu had always had to put up with it. What was the problem with being a normal kid? Atsumu didn't understand. But then again, there were a lot of things in this world he didn't understand. Like those square watermelons he saw at the market the other day? What's up with that? No wonder Osamu calls him annoying. This is the stuff he thinks about in the daily. His poor mother. He'll finally get to go to middle school next year, but seriously. He needs more human interaction.

Atsumu was dragged from his thoughts when they reached a small bridge.

"Should we cross? Can 'ya handle it?", Osamu asked. Atsumu rolled his eyes.

"'M not a baby, 'Samu", was all he said before stepping on to the old wood. It smelled nice. He momentarily wondered who else had walked on the bridge before them. Then he almost fell over because the sun blared right in his eye. "'Samu, why weren't 'ya the taller one, damnit?", he whined as he held his hands over his eyes. Osamu just looked at him. Of course, he was in the shade. Stupid 'Samu.

The forest that came after the bridge was small, and easy to walk through.

Atsumu silently thanked God or whoever, he didn’t really know.

They reached the end of the forest after walking for a short while longer, until they came across a huge sunflower field. They almost didn't notice the boy standing right in front of them, the flowers were so captivating. They were tall and gold. Beautiful in the setting sun. Unlike the small boy. Short, pale. He had short, curly hair and moles on his skin where they could see. He was wearing khaki shorts and a long sleeved striped shirt.

“Hi. I’m Atsumu, and this is my brother. Osamu”, Atsumu said, making the boy jump slightly. He turned around and looked at them.

“Okay.”, he said back. Atsumu stared at him.

“What’s yer name, then?” Osamu raised his eyebrow.

“Sakusa.”, he muttered, rolling his eyes. Atsumu went up to him and tried to shake his hand. He didn’t shake Atsumu’s hand. Atsumu frowned and turned to Osamu.

Osamu shrugged. “Are you twins?”, Sakusa finally said, breaking the silence.

“Yep! This is my baby brother ‘Samu!” Atsumu put his arm around Osamu and grinned. Osamu smiled softly.

“Okay”, Sakusa said.

“So… Sakusa. Wanna walk to our house?” Osamu asked.