1

EVENTUALLY, WORD GOT AROUND to the whole school that Hazel was the girl from Corona. She knew Summer didn't intend for everyone to know and had a pretty good guess as to how the news got out. That guess began and ended with Marissa Cooper.

The girl harbored a blatant dislike towards out of town girl from the start, but made sure to dial it down a bit when Summer was around. That didn't stop her from being rude to Hazel elsewhere, though, the curly-haired girl couldn't care less about what Marissa thought of her. Yet, she refrained from bringing it up with Summer, not wanting to be the one to implode a childhood friendship.

The Michaels girl kept her head up and by the end of freshman year, she was a pro at appearing unbothered. It was nearing the end of summer vacation, a time where the girl had only been able to hang out with Summer once or twice a week due to her work schedule. Today was one of those days; in fact, the girls had a full weekend's worth of plans, only Marissa decided to ruin that.

The two were in the middle of catching Hazel up on the latest episodes of The Valley when Summer's phone began to ring.

"Hey, Coop!" she exclaimed once the device was pressed to her ear. "Wait, wait, slow down. Luke did what?" Her gaze met the eyes of the girl next to her and there was a frown on her lips letting Hazel know that whatever was going on wasn't good. "Yeah, Coop, just...hold on."

Summer lowered the phone from her ear and brought a hand up to cover it so their words wouldn't be heard. "Haze, would you hate it very much if we picked up this marathon later? Your parents for sure said you could stay, right?"

"Yeah, they said it was cool," the girl replied, dodging the first question. Summer nodded before going back to her phone.

"Be there in 10, Coop!"

The short girl stood up quickly, changing from her pajama pants to a pair of fitted jeans. Hazel remained sprawled across the floor, not bothering to move a muscle. Within a minute, Summer had put on a new top as well and was reaching down to fasten her wedges. She kicked at her friend's feet. "C'mon."

Hazel raised an eyebrow."Why? She called you, not me."

"For moral support! Marissa knows we're together and that you're finally staying the entire weekend this time; we gotta spend as much time together as possible, so move your ass!"

The Michaels girl whined from her place down below. "Sum, I don't know about this. I don't know if Marissa wants me there. In her house and stuff."

"Of course she does! You always have something insightful to say. Like that time I called you when that curly-headed creep was following me at the mall."

Hazel stood up, crossing her arms over her chest. "You mean when Seth Cohen was trying to tell you that you dropped your credit card?"

Summer looked at her friend in confusion, "Who?"

"Nevermind," she sighed. "All I said was to hide out in the ladies' room till the coast was clear and it was a false alarm anyway. He gave it to me the next day at school to give to you."

"Right, and without you, I would've had to have to use my backup card--or, well, my backup, backup card. I lost one, but I know it's in this house somewhere!"