Chapter 15: I Heard A Rumor

Warnings: none that I'm aware of

Word Count: 2163

Five hadn't expected to see (Y/N) asleep beside him the next morning. His eyes were still heavy with sleep, but he tried his best to let them focus on her peaceful face. His side ached as he reached forward and brushed his thumb lightly across her cheekbone and he thought, he'd like to be able to wake up like this everyday. Minus the shrapnel wound, of course. In fact, the stinging pain reminded him of just why he couldn't think of fantasies like that right now. He still needed to find Harold Jenkins, and he'd be able to effectively do so now that his wound had been taken care of. Leaning forward, he kissed (Y/N) on the cheek and moved to get out of bed, but she began to stir in her sleep. Freezing, he watched as her (e/c) eyes cracked open. When they rested on him, a sleepy smile spread across her face. "Morning." She rasped.

"Morning." He laid back down and let her stare at him. In all forms, in all angles, she was breathtaking. He almost couldn't believe it. The way her eyes squinted when a new thought passed through her mind, the way they blinked twice when she snapped herself back into reality, it was all her. He wanted to comment on it, but he saw the flash of pain on her face and her smile turned bittersweet. "Stop doing that." He whispered.

"Doing what?"

"Stop looking at me like this is the last time you'll see me."

She went silent for a second, her fingers tracing his features. "I can't help it..."

Not another thing was said before she got out of bed and assisted Five out of the room. From down the hall, they heard a bell ringing and Klaus's cheerful voice. Turning, they saw him approaching the two with a smile. "Good morning, lovebirds!"

"Good morning, Klaus. What is it?" (Y/N) asked as she shifted her arm that was around Five.

"Important family business downstairs. Breakfast will be provided." He grinned.

"You get more insufferable everyday..." Five groaned, only encouraging his brother's antics.

"Come on, let's go! I already got the big guy waiting on me!" He began ringing the bell as he danced down the stairs. With a sigh, the pair followed him down into the kitchen, where Luther was sitting at the table. The man clearly had one hell of a night, seemingly hungover. As they entered the kitchen, Klaus immediately began pouring cups of coffee for everyone. Five and (Y/N) sat beside Luther, the girl handing the boy one of the cups. He took a sip and grimaced.

"Jesus. Who do I gotta kill to get a decent cup of coffee?" He hissed up at Klaus as he set the cup back down. (Y/N) sighed and reached over, gently taking his hand in hers. Klaus handed her a plate of eggs and she gratefully took it, setting it down in front of Five. "No, I don't want to eat."

"Five, you need to eat something."

"(Y/N), I just said no."

"And I say eat your food. Now." She sternly demanded, as a mother would to her child. Five exhaled through his nose before picking up the fork, grumpily eating his eggs. She proudly smiled and rubbed circles on his back. Luther groaned and drank his coffee.

"Can we get started, please?"

"Anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison? No?" He looked to his sister, who only glanced around the table, wordlessly asking her usual question. Klaus motioned towards the seat across from her. Good, Ben is here. "Alright, then, this is the closest thing to a quorum...," He banged his spatula on the table, only causing Luther more irritation. "...that we're gonna get. Now, listening up. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna spit it out. Yeah..." He trailed off and the three frowned in confusion when he didn't continue.