Mark Anthony's Seduction by Cleopatra

Cleopatra's grip on power in Egypt was stronger than it had ever been, thanks to her young son's role as co-regent. Nonetheless, inconsistent Nile floods resulted in failed crops, causing inflation and starvation. Meanwhile, at Rome, a conflict erupted between Caesar's allies (Mark Anthony, Octavian, and Lepidus) and his assassin (Brutus and Cassius). Both factions requested Egyptian assistance, and after some deliberation, Cleopatra dispatched four Roman legions stationed in Egypt by Caesar to assist the triumviratr. After defeating Brutus and Cassius armies in the Battles of Philli in 42 B.C, Mark Antony and Octavian split authority in Rome. Cleopatra was summoned to the Cicilian city of Tarsus(south of modern-day Turkey) by Mark Antony to explain her role in the tangled aftermath of Caesar's killing. Cleopatra traveled to Tarsus in an expensive ship, draped in the robes of Isis, according to Plutarch's tale (potrayed by William Shakespeare). Antony who identified with the Greek god Dionysus, was seduced by her allure. He agreed to preserve Egypt and Cleopatra's throne in exchange for her younger sister and rival Arsinoe's removal from captivity. Antony, who had left behind his third wife, Fulvia, and their children in Rome, returned to Egypt shortly after Cleopatra. He spend the winter of 41-40 B.C. at Alexandria, where he and Cleopatra notoriously founded the "Inimitable Liver", a deinking group. Cleopatra gave birth to twins, Alexandria Helios (sun) and Cleopatra Selene(moon) after Antony's return to Rome in 40 B.C.