[Stris] Long Beach Nights

"I can't promise life's always going to be easy with me, but I can promise we will always find a way through the obstacles. I believe in us. I believe in a forever with you."

*General*

Walking along the Long Beach shoreline after work had become a staple in Chris and Street's relationship. Admittedly, they were both creatures of habit. The duo had worked the same SWAT schedule for their entire duration on 20-David, had movie nights and margaritas every other Friday, and walked along the Long Beach shoreline after shift when time permitted.

Today had been one of those days.

The couple had been woken up 2 hours before they usually would on a workday to work an emergency hostage scene. The LAPD needed their best.

The scene was an all-day ordeal. It ended peacefully, but not without Chris acting as a hostage negotiator and Nora working on more patients in a day than she had since leaving the military. 20-David's day had been chaotic, and after everything had been cleared at 5pm, Chris and Jim knew where they needed to go.

"You should really think about going back to specialize in hostage negotiation; you do more work than half of LAPD's actual negotiators," Jim said as he and Chris walked hand-in-hand down the sandy shores.

"I'll pass," Chris replied. "K-9 was enough for me. The only other thing I'm looking to do at SWAT is take the sergeant's exam."

Jim stopped in his tracks to look at his girlfriend.

"You've never told me that before."

Chris shook her head.

"It wasn't worth mentioning," she started. "I'm not taking it until Deacon and Hondo are both gone. I have no desire to leave 20-David."

"For what it's worth," Jim said as he kissed her cheek. "In my totally biased opinion, I think you'll make a wonderful sergeant and team leader one day."

"Well, I appreciate your totally biased opinion," Chris said as the two began to walk again in silence.

The two had nearly reached the pier where they usually stopped to sit when Jim began to talk again.

"It's hard to believe it has been nearly a year since we took our first walk here together."

Chris thought about the memory fondly. It was one of her favorite memories.

"I brought you here after we went on our first official date after your surgery," she reminded him.

"It feels like it has been a year and ten all at the same time," Jim said as they sat on their bench.

Chris smiled at the thought. "It's been the best year of my life."

"Mine too," Jim started. "And I hope it's the first of many."

He took both of Chris' hands in his and looked her in the eyes.

"I can't promise life's always going to be easy with me, but I can promise we will always find a way through the obstacles. I believe in us. I believe in a forever with you," Jim continued. "Now, this isn't exactly how I planned this, but I love you, Christina, and I don't want to wait any longer."

Jim got up from the bench and kneeled in the sand with the ring he had been carrying for months.

"So, Christina Jade Alonso, will you say yes to forever? Will you marry me?"

Chris pulled him up from the sand and kissed him with a mumbled "yes."

"I know you're not a jewelry person," Jim said as they pulled away. "But I wanted you to have something for special occasions."

He gave her a velvet box containing a yellow gold engagement ring, flanked by a salt-n-pepper colored center diamond and one clear diamond on either side.

The ring matched the pendant she wore daily that he had gifted her at the beginning of their relationship.

"I love it," Chris replied as she let Jim slip the ring onto her finger and pulled him in for another kiss.

"I hope you know the team's going to be pissed," Jim said as he pressed their foreheads together. "They've been pestering me about being here for this for months, but I didn't want to wait anymore."

"They'll be mad for a whole 2 seconds before they start crying tears of joy, and you know it," Chris quipped.

---

Bonus Scene

"Alright, Luca," Street said as he sat at the breakfast bar with his friend the following morning. "We had a deal. I proposed to Chris, so now it's time you go ring shopping for Nora."

Luca pressed his forehead against the granite countertop.

"It's too early for this," he mumbled.

[END]

-----

[written 6.21.2021 - edited 9.15.2021 + 3.31.2022]

Welcome to another episode of Sharna's late-night mania. Brought to you by my screwed-up sleep schedule. On the bright side, I popped out another request. This was the highly anticipated proposal story. Hopefully, it wasn't a letdown to y'all like it was to me. I'm going to bed now. <3 -Sharna