The Before

Bluish tinted smoke billowed away to reveal a small dirty-blond haired girl bounding down the L shaped hall, her laughter haunted the lilac painted hole-filled walls. She ducked past a tall, at least to her, plump woman with dark colored hair, and brown eyes.

"Momma! Save me!" The child squealed out as she hid from the smaller blond haired boy running their way. "He keeps trying to tickle me!" The children made circles around and around her, the boy trying to reach out for the girl.

"Maria, stop running in the house. Lucas, stop chasing her. You know your grandmother doesn't feel well today," The mother chastised, and though she said it with a smile, her voice was firm. "Take it outside." She finished.

"Sorry, Momma." The children chorused, smiling to each other, before bolting for the back door.

"Hey! What did I just finish telling you? No running in the house!" The mother shouted from behind them. It went ignored, obviously.

Much of that day was spent outside, running around the large oak tree in my grandmother's backyard. If I had known what the next day would consist of, I would have never wanted my 11th birthday to occur. While I don't regret what I have now, and I wouldn't change it for the world, I have missed so much of my family's lives, and they missed so much of mine. 

"Mom?" I had awoken the morning of my birthday, headed for the kitchen for some of the delicious bacon that I knew waited for me. Only to see the blurred form of my mother sitting across from a strange man, glaring daggers at him. Hook nosed, and dressed strangely, even for sixty degree weather, the strange man sat in my usual spot nursing what I assumed to be a cup of coffee. 

"Good morning, my dear," Momma's voice was sickly sweet. Her gaze not even twitching in my direction. "Say hello to Professor Snape." It was silent for a bit, as I walked across the hardwood floor to grab my glasses off the counter bar situated in the living room where I had left them the night before.

"Hello. How has your morning gone so far, Sir?" I questioned, finally being able to see. He was a guest, and though Mom seems to know him, hate him even, I don't. 

I really should have just walked back into the room, not even bother with the niceties, or even breakfast that day. He probably would've came and gotten me up, but  it's the thought that counts.

"It."

My smile fell. He's really gonna get on my nerves.

"Has."

My eyes set. This man is doing this on purpose, I can guarantee it. 

"Been."

My eyes dart to the clock, it's quite literally been a minute to say three words so far. Slow speech is a pet peeve that's rearing it's greasy head right now.

"A."

My skin started to itch. 

"Fine." 

I glanced at my mom, and quirk an eyebrow. 'What the fuck' My expression said. 'Yep' Hers said. 

"Day."

Glancing at the clock again, I see that six freaking words took three minutes. My nerves are rattling and my fingers tap against my leg, trying to contain the urge to hurry the sentence along. 

"What."

Oh god, no. This man's not even done? Is this going to take another three minutes from my life? I can't get back the three he already took! 

Nor can I get back the six going on seven years either. I love my father, I really do, but sometimes  I wish I wasn't dragged into his war.