Chapter Four

Lyanna

The next day preparations were to be made for men of the Dreadfort to leave with Roose Bolton. The cooks were making food for the feast that night, the hounds were locked in kennels, the horses stalls were cleaned, everybody was in their best clothes, everybody was busy and I was bored out of mind.

I wanted no part of the feast, but as Roose's ward, I had to be there. I went to the Godswood to be out of the way of everybody with Winter trailing behind me. In the year of being here Winter grew big, strong, his coat had lost his puppy fur and was turning coarse, he was turning into a predator.

As I neared my favorite heart tree I heard moaning. I didn't register what it was I was hearing until it was too late. Ramsay had Myranda up against a tree, taking her from behind. Winter growled seeing them, my hands balled into fists. All of a sudden I was mad, I didn't know who I was mad at more, Ramsay, Myranda, myself or the fact that they were having sex in the Godswood. Maybe I was mad at everything, nothing ever seemed right at the Dreadfort. I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Myranda pulled her dress down, smirking at me, her lips swollen, her cheeks red from the cold. Ramsay pulled his pants up, but didn't finish tying them. "Lya, it isn't what it seems." Ramsay began.

I held up a hand, interrupting him. "Don't call me that! In the Godswood, of all places. Get out the Gods frown upon this kind of disrespect." I said walking deeper into the heart trees. I ran my fingers against the rough bark, I could hear someone coming after me. I turned around swiftly, brought my hand up slapping anything I could hit as hard as I could.

Ramsay was not expecting me to lash out in this way, I slapped him twice before he regained his wits and grabbed both of my hands in his before I could do it a third time. With the momentum of my slaps and him grabbing my hands to stop me, I stubbled into his chest. I huffed out a sigh as I glared into his eyes. He glared. "Now, that we've established you can no longer hit me, lets take your aggression out in another form, ok?" He said firmly. "You won't be doing that again. You've done it twice, next time I won't be so lenient." Ramsay let me go. His blue eyes bore into my brown ones. "You're good with a bow, but mediocre at sword play. Everyday in the yard, at this time starting now." He turned around, walking away.

I didn't budge, I just glared at his back. "Are you coming or not?" He called without turning around.

"Bastard." I grumbled, walking slowly behind him.

"You're a bastard too, this insult doesn't hold any weight My Dove." Ramsay laughed. "I've been called that my entire life, I'm sure you have too, with that said, the truth can never hurt you." He said quietly. "Don't we have a truce anyway? What is with the hostility?" By the time he asked this we were at the armory. He grabbed two wooden swords, handing one to me.

I took it from him with a frown. "Why wooden swords?" I asked ignoring his question.

"My Dove you aren't ready for Frost. You can barely hold the bastard sword as is." Ramsay nudged me with the side of his sword toward the court yard.

The wooden sword was heavy in my hand, I could barely lift it. "You hold the sword like this." Ramsay instructed, his hands put mine in the correct position on the sword hilt. "Stand like this." He put his hand on my hips, putting me in the right position. My skin was hot where he touched me. "Now attack me." He smirked.

I stepped forward, gripping the sword with both hands. "No, one hand, not two. Start again." He said with a head shake. He didn't even move.

I stepped forward again and thrusted my sword at his stomach, Ramsay blocked easily, and hit me with his sword. My attempts were half hearted, I hated this, I hated him, I hated my life here. I tried again this time with more force, our swords met for the first time. He deflected and hit me again. "You need to protect your body with your sword and your movements. You're making it too easy, too open. Its all about the foot work." He said passionately.

"How do I do that?" I asked angrily.

"You practice." Ramsay told me and attacked me.

****

By the time practice was done I was sweaty, bruised, and dirty. Ramsay never took it easy on me.

He knocked me down into the dirt, my wooden sword falling out of my hand, across the yard for the last time. "That's enough for today." Ramsay said, twirling his sword in his hand, showing off. I glared up at him as he held out his hand for me to take. I took his hand and pulled him down on the ground with me. I grunted as he landed on top of me which I wasn't expecting. He caught himself before we knocked heads, his hands on either side of my face, his ice blue eyes glaring into mine. He breathed an exasperated sigh across my face, his breath smelling like mint. "Go take a bath, you reek." He said getting up, grabbing his and my wooden swords off the yard, walking towards the smithy to put them away.

I stick my tongue out at Ramsay's retreating back, ignoring his advice on going to the bath house. "Come Winter." I snap my fingers, as he trails behind me. 

Upon entering my room, I see a dress has been laid out for me. The gown was exquisite, it was black lace with red gems sown in, the Bolton House colors. The fabric alone, must have cost a fortune, too bad I wasn't going to be wearing it tonight. I strapped Frost to my back and waited to be escorted down to the feast.

Myranda came into my chambers an hour later, she took one look at me before a sneer came onto her face. "Lord Bolton has asked for your presence at the feast." She said.

I nodded, walking to the great hall. "Ramsay is not going to be pleased." Myranda tsked.

"He can't do anything to me." I shrugged smirking to myself.

"I hope we can hunt you. The hounds would love to take a bite off that pretty face of yours." She cackled. When I didn't answer she continued, "Or maybe he'll flay you, regardless of what he does to you, I hope I can watch." Her eyes went glassy with her fantasy.

"He'll get bored of you eventually, and when that happens you'll be looking up into my face." I said rounding on her, my back to the great hall door. "My face will be the last thing you see. Remember that." I turned, opening the door to the great hall. 

I walked up to Roose. "Where would you like me My Lord?" He looked at me and I bowed my head slightly. 

Roose's grey eyes took in my appearance and his mouth went into a frown. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ramsay glaring and shaking his head, he didn't approve either. "You may sit next to me Lyanna." His whispery voice said.

I did as I was told and ate what was in front of me. I didn't say much but listened to what was being said around me. Roose Bolton was taking the Dreadfort men to help Robb Stark win his war against the Lannisters in the South, while Ramsay and I were to remain here. Robb had ordered Theon to go home to the Iron Islands to recruit his father to his cause. Theon was eight years old when he became Father's ward, it had been twelve years since Theon had seen Pyke. 

"Robb seriously thinks that's a good idea?" I spoke, biting my lip. "I'm sorry for speaking out of turn, My Lord." I added blushing furiously.

Roose looked over at me, brows knitted together. "That's quite alright Lyanna. Why do you think it's a bad idea?" He whispered.

"I think it's a bad idea because he was House Stark's ward, a hostage. It would be better suited to keep Theon near in case Balon Greyjoy decides to ally himself with the Lannisters." I say. 

"Do you think Theon will betray Robb?" Roose asked me again.

I bit my lip. "Theon is Robb's best friend, Robb believes in loyalty and above all peoples words. Theon's main weakness is that he believes he will never be good enough." I pause, catching my breath. "Balon Greyjoy twelve years ago tried to rebel and lost, chances are he will refuse Robb. In doing so Theon will want to prove to his father that he's still a Kraken. He will betray Robb, because he's a coward." 

Roose smiled and patted my shoulder affectionately. "Thank you for your advice Lyanna." He said.

I smiled back before taking a bite of lemon cake. All of a sudden I feel eyes on the back of my neck. I turn around and Ramsay is glaring at me with his ice blue eyes. If I wasn't in trouble already for not wearing his evening gown, I was definitely in trouble for speaking out of turn and making him look bad in front of his father.