Prolouge

"Summer Vacation!!!" Sasha yelled as she busted through the Jaeger residence door.

"Yep, then SAT's. But first lifeguard job." Eren sighed and threw his bag on the floor of his house in sorrow. He was happy despite the fact of the stressful incoming year. The first reason being, that his parents weren't home.

Summers in Arizona were dry and hot. Not much different for the rest of the year. This specific group of seven students just finished their sophomore year in high school. While most of their classmates enjoyed their last year of normal high school, these guys decided to use their time to study for exams and save money for the freedom that comes with graduating.

But they all had an end goal. And they were going to reach it.

"Well, you know what? I'm gonna enjoy the job. We need some time to have some fun." Armin grinned and stood awkwardly in the doorway of the Jaeger's house, not wanting to sit down.

"Saving drowning children isn't exactly my choice of recreational activities, Armin." Jean frowned with a groan as he stood with his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"Yeah, you're right. But we'll be doing it together?" Armin tried to remain optimistic, but it still didn't tickle anyone else's fancy. He was certainly going to enjoy summer. Getting a job meant that he didn't have to spend his summer in the house with his less-than-agreeable grandfather.

"Well, let's start this off with some video games, shall we? To the basement!" Connie yelled before running down a staircase in the corner of the living room.

"I get platinum controller!" Eren screamed after him and basically jumped down the banister.

"No! I want it!" Jean shrieked and ran after the two boys. Mikasa, Armin, Sasha, and Krista all followed after them, keeping their backpacks with them in case the Jaegers came back earlier than Eren had predicted.

The gang made it downstairs and indulged in video game activities. This mindless behavior cleared their heads from the ten months of strenuous work and stress. It was nice to wind down and relax for once. They were always on edge. Whether it be in their own homes or at school, none of them could fully relax thanks to circumstance.

Eren lived in a nice house, but it was there because his parents worked. He had a game console to shut him up, and his parents separating themselves from him with every year he grew. They had their own problems and Eren was at the bottom of their list of things to deal with. So while he lived under their roof, Eren had his own rules. Rules for himself that were going to get him out of there faster. He didn't want for anything.

Except maybe direct love and attention. But that's getting a little needy, right?

All the rest of them? They simply enjoyed the peace Eren's neglect gave them. Better than listening and witnessing the turmoil under their own roofs.

Eren, Connie, Jean, and Armin got lost in a mildness shooting game while Sasha, Mikasa, and Krista played animal crossing on their switches. They keep them locked in their lockers at school. Past odd jobs got them these gifts and they were going to keep them safe from their houses and the sticky fingers of their school's administration.

"This feels so good. No stress, no homework. Ahhh, I feel so....high." Connie sighed, his eyes almost crossing from the euphoria he felt.

"Easy, Tiger. Don't dirty your pants." Sasha snickered making everyone chuckle and cringe at the vulgar innuendo.

With a final strain, Eren rapidly pressed his controller buttons, his muscles spazzing at the excessive speed his fingers moved until the victory sign flashed across his box on the screen.