Chapter One

I was driving at 57 on the freeway. I was running late, and she wasn't the kind of person you would want to keep waiting. I took a sharp turn on the fork in the road and kept on driving. When I reached her street, I parked outside her house and texted her.

Me: zel i'm outside

Zelda: Oh, okay, Romeo.

Me: don't call me that plz

Zelda: Well, sorry about that.

Me: i know u arent, you never are

Zelda: >:3

Me: c'mon, before your dad comes.

Zelda: Okay, okay! Just need to get my stuff ready. Brb

Me: fine imma just gonna leave without u

Zelda: Link!

Me: jk. just please hurry

I put my phone away in my pocket and looked up at her room. The Hyrule's minimalist mansion was designed to be modeled after Hyrule Castle, the place where the members of the Royal Family of Hyrule live. Zelda is related to them, but her cousin's family has the throne after her mom gave it up to her sister. I turned on my phone and checked the time. 3:57 pm. She had to hurry. My mom and dad are the leaders of the most notorious gang in Hyrule, "Serpents of Faron."

Yes, my parents are thugs. You're probably thinking that they must have mistreated me. But, for fugitives on the run, they were pretty nice. My dad would train me for combat when I was little, but he was the guy that you would go to if you had a problem at the same time. My mom was the brains of the whole group, but she also acted like a completely normal mom. Y'know, caring for my safety, cooking food, educating me, stuff like that. We were gonna bolt from Castle Town District because the guard was on to us. Before, we were going to leave at noon, but my dad had a stroke. My mom said he had something called deep vein thrombosis, and that he's gonna be taken care of by the medic, which would get them arrested. She told me that I had to run away to Hateno, where I could be safe. But if I'm going to leave Central Hyrule, I want to leave with the soon-to-be only person that understands me, Zelda. At 4:00 was when I should say goodbye to dad. Mom texted me. The doctor told her that Dad wasn't gonna make it, and that I should say goodbye before it's too late. I tapped my foot impatiently, my blonde hair blowing in the cool, winter breeze. After a few minutes of waiting, I heard the door unlock. Zelda was standing underneath the doorway, her verdant eyes shining like jewels in the moonlight. She was wearing a white, fluffy parka with a tiny wool hat to match. "Hey." I said, smirking a bit. "What took you so long, bugalugs?"

Zelda gave me a playful nudge with her elbow. "Linky..."

I blushed. She never called me that before.

"You don't look too bad yourself."

Zelda became a deep rose-red. "Oh, r-really?" Zelda asked.

I held her cheeks in my hands, which made her blush even more. As I leaned in closer to her lips, my phone buzzed. I turned on my phone and checked the time. 4:01 pm.

I was too late.

I went on my phone and began to text my mom.

Me: mom is dad ok?

Me: mom?

Mom: Your mother has been apprehended, Mr. Forrester.

Me: wait, who is this?

Mom: Officer Urbosa.

Me: where's my dad? is he okay

Mom: Your father has already passed. Mr. Forester, we need you to turn yourself in.

Me: oh yeah?

Mom: Turn yourself in, or we'll have to get you by force.

Me: hmm, i think no. come and get me.

Mom: Mr. Forrester, I am warning you!

Me: and im warning you to get your filthy hands off my mom.

I turned off my phone and turned towards Zelda. She had a curious look on her face with a slight hint of melancholy. "Link, is everything okay?" she asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. I hugged her tight to my chest and began crying into her canary yellow hair.

I was a criminal on the run.