Intoxicating Moments

The warm sticky air hung heavy in the night making the three traveling companions grateful they were able to pull together some cash to afford some decent lodgings. Fuu was very grateful to be able to sleep without being eaten alive by bugs. The few odd jobs helped them accumulate a small savings before setting off again in the morning.
Mugen arrived at the room with several pots of sake in his arms kicking his sandals off.
"Hey!" Fuu screeched " we aren't supposed to be spending money on that!"
"Calm down we have plenty left over."He rolled his eyes, sitting in the center of the room.
Placing the booze in front of himself removed his red oversized over shirt. " it's our last night here that's enough of a reason to drink for me. Maybe you should have some too it might make you more tolerable to be around." He teased popping open the quark of the first bottle.
She huffed watching Jin settle in across from Mugen retrieving a small saucer cup to enjoy some of the sake as well.
In a show of reluctant compliance, Fuu plopped down next to Mugen with a huff.
Grabbing her saucer cup and the neck of the bottle she tipped it over slightly letting the liquid trickle out into the cup.

————————————

The moon hung high as the sounds of crickets and frogs hummed outside.
After a few hours, empty discarded jugs were spewed across the floor. Poor Jin, now propped up against the wall, his head had been spinning and couldn't keep conscious.
"Damn you two drank up a lot of my booze...Did Jin pass out? Good grief..." Mugen grumbled as he swished around the last jug to hear the half-empty sloshing noise it made before pouring himself another cup.
Fuu swigged back what was left in her cup and let out a dramatic sigh after the liquid slid down her throat. The once burning sensation has long become numbed out with a lot of her mind. All she could feel was how warm her face had gotten.
" Don't complain, I worked for that money too! I wanna celebrate~" she slurred as she reached for the jug in front of Mugen sloppily pointing herself another drink.
" Not what I would call a celebration. There's not even any women here to get things going." the crude man complained lowering his cup from his lips.
"Well then, what would you call me..." she blurted out glaring over at him.
"Pfft! A plank of wood that's a pain in my ass." He cracked without any hesitation.
Fuu's eyebrow twitched as a thought crept into her mind. "I got it...You just can't handle a woman like me." She said in a snooty tone, lifting her drink once more to her lips, sipping half of it down before lazily placing the cup to the side.
"Teh, there's nothing to handle." He stated bluntly shooting a look over to her flushed face in time to see her grab at the neck of her kimono revealing the pale skin of her shoulder and collarbone.
"So you're telling me you're not a man. " she challenged with a sly smirk on her face.
"Fuu that's enough." Mugen said in a low tone.
Slightly stumbling, the inebriated girl leaned over on her knees. Supporting her weight on her right arm, she reached out with her free hand gently grabbing onto a tuff of wild hair beside his face.
"Awe don't be scared I don't bite~" she giggled. Twirling his hair in between her fingers, a sense of pride bloomed as she assumed he was becoming flustered.
In a quick movement, Mugen grabbed her hand from his hair and lunged her back pinning her to the ground with a thud. He towered over her, engulfing her form in his shadow, as a wicked grin came over his lips.
Clutching tighter he looked over her small frame, tracing each detail with his eyes slowly up to her face.
"You know what kind of man I am you little bitch. You should be the one who's scared." He growled as his hand shifted from pinning down her arm to clenching around her throat. "Are you really that clueless about what kind of monster I am?"
The quick movement made her head spin. Her eyes looked over his face as her fingertips slid slowly over his scarred knuckles around her neck.
"After all this time, I know exactly who you are..." her voice hitched, sliding her hand to the top of his hand " I've seen you fight, steal, and even kill recklessly..but.." Fuu's soft fingertips left his hand and softly brushed against Mugen's stubbled cheek. "But I know you won't hurt me because we care about each other." the stubborn girl said with no doubt behind her eyes.
His face couldn't hide the small shock those words caused. Feeling this soft warm touch brought flashbacks to the blood-soaked riverside and the words from the blind assassin.