4: Harboring Guilt

After Leader and Konan took Deidara to what I assumed to be the medic room, I turned to look at Itachi, who turned to look back at me. "Let me show you around," he spoke. His smooth, hypnotic voice could have said anything in that moment and it would have sounded good.

"Okay," I replied in a very quiet whisper. He wordlessly turned his head away from me, leading me through the boulder entrance to a secret room.

"This is the living room," he spoke, I turned to see a few couches set up, along with a bookshelf filled with books. He pointed to where Pein, Deidara and Konan went. "Infirmary unit. It's a quaint room with useful medical supplies." He walked towards the kitchen, through an archway to the left side of the living room. "The kitchen," the room had a decently large refrigerator, stove, and counter space. There was also a long, wooden table with enough chairs to seat all ten of us comfortably. He brought me back into the living room and pointed to the hallway to the right. "I'm not quite sure when Konan will be back, but your room is down that way, along with the rest of ours."

I nodded, folding my arms over my chest with a sigh. "Well, I don't suppose you could show me my room? I would like to start putting my things together so I can turn in early since we are training together tomorrow."

Itachi nodded, gesturing me to follow him. I walked behind him as he led me down the dark hallway which was solely illuminated by lit candles fixtured against the walls. He led me down the hallway, which broke right, leading us down another hallway two doors down. I had the last room. "You're right here, next to Hidan," he spoke, opening the door to the room, pushing it open.

I opened the door and turned the light on, finding I had my own bed and dressers, along with my own private bathroom. I also had my own small couch, and desk with a lamp and office chair. I wasn't quite sure why I'd need all this extra furniture, but I guessed I'd have more off than on days after a few months of working for this organization. I turned to look at Itachi now. "How solid are the walls here?"

One of his eyebrows raised in curiosity. "I would say they are pretty solid."

"Sweet. I'm not interested in hearing whatever freaky shit goes on in Hidan's room," I sighed, waving my hand lazily. I walked towards the bed now, ready to put down the single backpack I had managed to bring with me from The Sand. My words earned a soft chuckle out of Itachi, surprising me enough to look at him incredulously. "How long have you been here for?"

"Quite some time," he replied. From the way he recollected, it seemed it may have been a bit after the clan massacre. I didn't press. "It has served me well, as I have served it."

I sat down on the couch now, eyes still watching him. His eyes were onyx black, peering at me curiously as I hesitated to speak any further. I had so many questions for him, but I didn't know whether or not he was one to talk. He had already proved to be short on words, a pensive, brooding young man with a lot more on his mind rather than on the tip of his tongue. "May I ask you a question?" I spoke after enough hesitation. I couldn't get past it, regardless; He had already been waiting for my response. I moved to the furthest end of the couch, leaning forward to tap the other cushion with my hand.

Itachi hesitated, turning towards the door to close it, as if knowing what I was going to ask him. He sat down on the other side of the couch, looking me in the eye. "Are you going to ask me why I did it?"

I pursed my lips, shaking my head no. "No, I can understand why."

Itachi's eyes temporarily widened, but he didn't reply. Instead, his eyes urged me to keep on speaking.