Chapter 3

Eleanor gracefully knelt down in the chapel, followed by her loyal ladies-in-waiting

Eleanor gracefully knelt down in the chapel, followed by her loyal ladies-in-waiting. As the sun shone through the stained glass windows, they bowed their heads in prayer, their faces illuminated by the warm light. Eleanor had been living in Sanctuary for two months, and her prayers had always been the same: for her family's safety in Scotland, to be in good health and well-being, and for God would protect them from any harm. She also prayed that God would protect her and crush the treacherous York family, who had taken her father's throne by force, and restore her father, the king, to his rightful place.

Her father would have loved to stay in abbey for months on end. She thought to herself. She could still remember her earliest memories of her father. She would always find him praying in a chapel for the safety of the people and his family, or He would give her lessons about God and how to live a godly life.

Oh, if only life was easier that way. She thought to herself. However, life rewards the people who don't live in godly ways more than those who do.

After Eleanor finished her prayers and reflection, she heard faint footsteps in the chapel. She turned to see the priest in the doorway. Eleanor believed the man had to be at least sixty years old. His piercing green eyes stood out against his weathered face, walking towards her with a red sealed letter. 

He is a friendly man, and she enjoys his company at times, she

She heard from the nuns in the abbey is  Father Michael came from a gentry background in the north of England, and his family had been loyal Lancastrian supporters during her 2nd great grandfather Henry IV's rebellion against Richard II. It was a known fact that Father Michael was a friend of her father's Archbishop of Canterbury.

As the priest came closer, Eleanor could see the rose; She rolled her eyes in frustration, knowing it was from King Edward—or rather; Lord Warrick, his closest advisor. She had already received countless letters from the king, asking her to come to his court and making other requests she found pointless. Still,  Eleanor had to answer it. However,  Her answer will stay the same: She will not leave the Sanctuary. 

Eleanor and her ladies rose from the floor and approached the priest. "Father." Eleanor greeted dutifully, Her voice brimming with respect, just like her old governess had taught her. She and her ladies curtsey very low as a sign of deep respect. He bowed to them. The priest had proved himself to be true to her father's cause and stayed strong despite the increase in troops surrounding the abbey in the last couple of weeks.   

As he handed the letter to Eleanor, she couldn't help but fixate on the red seal, envisioning it burning with the same fiery intensity as her heart filled with a burning desire for vengeance. The betrayal of the Londoners against her parents, the rightful king and queen, was unforgivable in her eyes.

She couldn't comprehend why the people of London had embraced Edward, the usurper, as their king. Even the teenage orphans who had confided in her had only mentioned his physical appeal, describing him as tall, handsome, and charming. That is a true king.