Chapter Four

The woman lights a fire, sitting down next to her horse. I was getting more and more frustrated at the minute. She never talked. Never.

Last time I remember, that was my thing. I stare her down but she doesn't care or noticed. "At least I could know your name." I say bitterly.

She looks up at me, a small smile forming. She starts cooking a can of stew over the fire. "Hungry?" She asks me.

I don't reply. I continue staring her down. She shrugs. "Fine, more for me."

The smell of the stew makes my stomach growl. Two days without food would make me hungry. A smart man would accept someone's offer when they finally offer food. But I'm not ready to swallow my pride.

I could go a couple more days.

The woman studies me, tilting her head. "I wonder what you look like under that mask." She says. "I'd like to see more than your pretty blue eyes."

I narrow my eyes. Was she? No, she couldn't be. She reaches forward, grabbing my mask. I grab her wrist, jerking it back.

She smiles at me. As her gaze drops to my bound hands, her smile fades. "Your wrists are bleeding." She says, noticing the blood soaking the ropes.

I glare at her, not breaking eye contact. She then shrugs. "You told me to make them tight." She pats my injured shoulder, that she patched up yesterday. I wince slightly.

"You think too much of yourself." I finally say.

She fills her bowl with stew, laughing at my comment. "I'm not cocky, if that's what you're thinking. I just know my skill set."

"It's not that much." I say, smiling even she couldn't see.

She turns and glares at me. "I killed the most skilled bounty hunter. Do you really think I'm no one to be scared of?"

I laugh. "You think The Copperhead is dead?" I ask her. She freezes, her brow furrowing. "Have you even heard of him? The man makes a living off of hunting men like me. He killed the Tuscan bandits in one afternoon, all while bleeding out of his leg."

"You haven't heard of me. You don't know what I'm capable of." She snaps.

"If you were as skilled as you say, I would've by now. But I know what you are." I sneer. "You're not skilled, you're stupid."

Her jaw visibly clenches. "Don't taunt me. Remember who was the one to catch you." She smiles as if she was triumphant.

I lean in close. "The Copperhead. You just shot and leeched off of him. And don't think you have me, not yet." A smile touched my voice.

The woman flips her ponytail. "You can make all the threats you want. But there's no way you're getting away." She drops a bowl of stew by my feet. "Now eat, you're no good to me dead."

          _________________________

I wasn't a bounty hunter, nor did I know much about the job. But one thing I did know.

Never fall asleep with your bounty. You always have to keep your eye on them or pick some buddies so you can take turns watching.

I watch the sun peeks up from the horizon. My elbows rested on my knees and my hands were free from the ropes.

The woman fell asleep a few hours after we ate. Once she did, I heated up my spoon and used it to burn through the ropes. It was a long process but it worked.

I could've left by now, taken her horse and supplies and just her alone in the desert. But my pride...I wanted to send her a message.

I move to my feet, dusting my pants off. I collect her guns and knifes, giving her almost no fighting chance. I drop them in her horse's saddle bag.

It was a pretty horse. White coat with brown and black spots, but I missed my girl. I hope Winni was okay.

The lady stirs slightly. I continue petting the horse's mane. Her eyes blink open and she shoots up when she sees me petting the horse.

"What are you doing?" She snaps, moving to her feet.

I raise my arms. "The ropes." I start, grinning down at her. "They weren't tight enough."

Her eyes widen. She reaches her gun, her face pales when she sees it wasn't there. "The gun is your horse's saddle bag. I could give it to you but that wouldn't be any fun."

"You little-" She foolishly swings at me. I grab her wrist then grab her neck, tightening my grip. She gasps.

I push her to her knees, continuing to tighten my grip. "I told you I would get out and you remember what I said I'd do if I got out?" I ask her.

The woman gasps. "Pl-please." She struggles to get out. She tugs at my hand.

"I said I'd make you beg for your death. Well? I don't hear anything?" I yell at her. After no reply, I release her, sighing.

She drops down, gasping and coughing. I crouch next to her, pulling my gun. "You made a huge mistake." I whisper in her ear. I place the gun under her chin, tipping it up to look at me. "You tried to go after The Rattlesnake. You should know no one ever succeeds." I tell her.

She stares at me wide eyed, her head shaking slightly. "No, please." She begs.

I move the gun slightly to the side and pull the trigger. The woman screams, holding the side of her face. "Follow me and I will kill you."

I climb on her horse, snapping the reigns and leaving her alone in the desert.

I ride on for hours, not knowing where to go. Maybe I should head back to Rattlestream and see if Winni was still there.

Winni was a independent horse but she was also very loyal. It was possible.

I slow the horse's speed when I come up to a camp site. There was only a fire place but smoke rose from the burned wood. Whoever started this fire wasn't far from here.

A familiar click sound, the sound of a gun cocking, comes from behind me. I sigh, instantly knowing who it was.

"Get off the horse Rattlesnake, before I shoot you." The Copperhead snaps.