Twenty One

Morgan's currently on a tour. He promised his wife that he'd be back with a month left in her pregnancy, promising to be home in time to finish getting the house set up and ready for their boys.

Haley's asleep on the couch, her feet kicked up on the coffee table with Sam next to her. He's been spending time with her since Morgan left for tour so she wasn't alone.

She jerks awake when she feels a sharp pain across her back and down into her thighs. She groans quietly, her hands flying to her back to rub the area, thinking it's pain from sitting weird.

It goes away and she relaxes back against the couch, slowing her breathing. Sam gives her a side eye as he munches on some chips. "You okay, Haley Mae?"

"I'm fine." She says, rubbing her face.

A couple minutes later, that pain seers through her back again and she winces with clenched teeth. "Haley." Sam sits forward and Haley suddenly grips his wrist. "Somethin' ain't right. C'mon."

"No, I'm fine. It'll go away." She says, staying on the couch.

"C'mon, somethin' might be wrong with your boys." She shakes her head, sinking further against the couch. "Haley, let's go."

"No, I'm not going!" She shouts, pulling her arm out of his grasp.

Same takes a deep breath and grabs her, carrying her to his truck. He wordlessly speeds off to the hospital.

Better safe than sorry.

***

Haley is freaking out.

Like panic attack freaking out.

Her babies are coming now and she's without her husband by her side but she's not alone, her Louisa May is there with her while Sam and Wes are out in the waiting room.

"Momma, no, I can't do this-" She whimpers, shaking her head as she sweats like hell.

"You got to." She responds, unsticking her hair from her sweaty face. She glances down at the nurse between Haley's legs and nods. "We gotta do this again, okay?"

Haley shakes her head but then nods, wrapping her fingers around her mother's bony hand.

A couple hours later, two beautiful baby boys are born.

"I'm so so proud of you, Haley Mae." Louisa May says, kissing the top of her sweaty head. "You did it. My baby had babies." She wipes away a few stray tears then laughs.

"Where's Morgan? Did you call him?" She mumbles out, tears swelling in her eyes.

"One of your brothers did." She says, sitting back in the corner chair.

"Can you call him again? I wanna talk to him."

"Get some rest, baby." Louisa May whispers, tucking some hair behind her daughter's ear.

Haley stubbornly shakes her head but sleep takes over.

***

Morgan is on the verge of tears. His wife is in the hospital and he's in another fucking state.

"I gotta get home now!" He shouts nervously, pacing around the parking lot. "I- She's alone!"

"Morgan-" His tour manager, Jake, starts.

"No, either we get back to Murfreesboro right now or I'm- I'm- I'm walking home."

"Morgan-" He's too worked up to listen, his heart pounding in his throat. "Morgan!" He shouts, his volume stopping the brunette in his tracks. "We cut your tour short. Jason Aldean is still tourin' but just without you openin'. Tyler Booth is openin' for him now. We got you, man."