Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next day I was cooking dinner as Louis hummed at the table typing on his laptop when security called us.
"Security to house," the guard called through the intercom.
"We're here," Louis replied pressing the buzzer by the backdoor.
"There's a white female by the name of Karen here," the guard replied and Louis looked up at me.
"Is it just her?" Louis asked.
"Yup."
I gave Louis a nod and he told the guard to send her up. "I'll go get the door," Louis said. I nodded turning back to the stove. I was making veggie stir fry and quinoa. I couldn't hear what the pair were saying but I could hear their individual voices as they made their way to the kitchen.
"Kate," the woman said softly and I turned to meet her eyes.
"Hi," I said brushing my hair back. She was a kind-looking woman and I had no ill feelings towards her, but my stomach was still churning.
"I didn't mean to intrude on your dinner. I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I tried to convince Steve not to just show up out of the blue like that, but he told me he needed to see you. I knew it wouldn't go well and I'm so sorry if it hurt you."
"I hardly knew him," I shrugged. "I just don't want him to think he can waltz back into my life like nothing happened. I had really awful things happen to me and it's because he left me and he doesn't even know. He doesn't know anything about me."
"Your sister, Ashley, she actually told him some of the things. Honey, I understand if you never forgive him I really do. When I heard some of those things that happened, I almost didn't forgive him."
"He seems like a good person now, different," I answered. "I don't think you have anything to worry about."
"I just hate the idea that he hurt and left his little girl and didn't have any remorse until years later," she sighed.
"Drugs and money can warp a person's mind," I shrugged turning back to the stove.
"Kate honey, I know your sister pretty well, but I'd really like to know you, just a dinner if that's all your comfortable with and I understand if you don't want anything to do with me," she said.
"Do your kids know you're here?" I asked pushing the vegetables around the pan.
"Actually, I didn't want to bring them into this unless you were comfortable, but Ashley ended up telling my daughter that you were her sister. She insisted I give you this drawing," she said and I turned to find her pulling a piece of paper out of her purse. I took it from her shaky hand and unfolded it. It was a drawing of stick figures all playing on the beach. I could tell it was the people in her house, but there was one little girl playing with a taller stick figure that had been named Kate. At the bottom of the page was scribbled I love you.
"She made this?" I asked biting my lip.
"Yeah, I'm sorry if you..."
"Would you like to stay for dinner?" I asked interrupting her.
"Are you sure?" She asked looking between me and Louis, who had been sitting at the table carefully watching us.
"Sure," I shrugged. "If you want."
"I would love that," she nodded.
"It's almost ready," I said and Louis got up to get the table set. When dinner was ready I set the pots on the table and sat down across from Karen next to Louis. We served ourselves quietly.
"So Ashley said you two have known each other since you were seventeen," Karen said breaking the silence.
"Yeah, but we've been together for about three years now," I answered.
"Oh my gosh you're married," Karen grinned noting the ring on my finger. "Wow, that's amazing. Do you have photos of the wedding?"
"We didn't have a wedding," I answered. "Didn't really need a big thing."
Karen's smile slipped slightly, but I give her credit for bringing it right back. "What do you two do for a living?"
"I'm a high school counselor," I answered.
"Oh, I give you props for that. I can't imagine handling all that," Karen laughed. "And what about you Louis?"
"I'm a singer," Louis answered looking down at me. I knew he didn't know how much I wanted to tell.
"Oh, that's right. I think Ashley told us about the band you used to be in," Karen nodded.
"He writes and sings his own music now," I said feeling my heart swell with pride. "We actually just got back from his world tour over the summer."
"Oh wow, that explains the security," she smiled. "You two both must be so proud of each other."
"You know she's the only person in her family to graduate from college?" Louis asked grinning up at me.
"Your dad told us you were smart," she said softly. "He told me once that you were reading chapter books when you were only five."
"Yeah," I sighed looking down.
"She has me reading now," Louis smiled. "All the books I missed out on."
"So you two knew each other while you were in the band?" Karen asked.
"Yeah, we were good friends, but it wasn't until after that you know we fell in love," Louis said and I saw his cheeks redden. I placed my hand on his.
"You two are really good for each other, I can tell," Karen said with a small smile. "You know Ashley told us that you two had a bit of a falling out..."
"We really aren't on speaking terms," I answered biting my lip. "We haven't been for a year or two now. Things were said that can't be taken back and she hasn't really made much of an effort to change."
"I'll be honest I can see where things get complicated between the two of you. I see how different you and Ashley are even in this short time of knowing each other. You two had very different lives. I just want you to know I don't judge you for that."
"Thanks," I said. A while later she finally decided to leave.
"Can I give you a hug?" She asked and I could tell she was nervous. I nodded. She wrapped her arms around me.
"I know you probably don't need to hear this and least of all from me, but I need you to know I'm proud of you. You've come really far without a lot of support and now you're happy. Not a lot of people can say they created their own joy and life, but you can and you should be proud of yourself," she said rubbing my back.
"Thank you," I whispered feeling my eyes tear up slightly. She did the same thing for Louis I didn't know what she said, but Louis had tears in his eyes as well. We watched her car leave before Louis turned to me.
"She's a mom, like a real mom," I said biting my lip. "Is it bad I really like her?"
"She reminds me of my mum," he said. "I really like her too."
"What did she tell you?" I asked leaning against the wall.
"She told me I was a good man and that she knows I'll take good care of you. I know you tell me I'm great all the time, but it just felt good hearing it from a mom," he said with a little smile. "What did she tell you?"
"She's proud of me," I said my cheeks blushing. Louis smiled.
"If you want her in your life or if you don't want anything to do with her I'll support you either way."
"I just need some time to figure it out," I shrugged. Louis nodded in understanding.