𝘰𝘯𝘦

"Out of all the towns and cities, he cocked his way into this one."

*•*

*•*

1919

"Oh- I'm sorry sir, deepest apologies. It seems I have two left feet."

A thin, short man turned around, a glare already pointed and ready to stare down whomever bumped into him. In the process of being rammed into, he dropped his loaf of bread that, thankfully, was wrapped securely in a cloth.

Brown ochre eyes graced his eyesight once he looked up. One glance was all it took for his eyes to relax once he was greeted with a spellbinding smile. Her lips, stained with a rich red coat, upturned ever so alluringly making the man swallow the harsh words he was about to spew. Tugging on his jacket as if the wrinkles would disappear and make his appearance more appealing, he shook his head in disagreement, "No apologies needed, ma'am. I should be expressing my regrets for ramming into you. You see, I have two left feet, myself."

The man unconsciously gave his apologies not knowing why he was verbally being apologetic. The older one of the strangers was so caught up in the woman's presence that he failed to remember she ran into him.

A short melodious giggle left her lips as she clutched her handbag between her fingers, "No worries at all. I best be off, I'm under terribly strict timing."

Nodding his head frantically, he moved to the side to let the woman pass, "Of course, miss. You be careful walking through these streets by your lonesome."

Feeling the urge to roll her eyes, she instead forced herself to keep her smile displayed. She could handle her own but he didn't need to know that. Biting her tongue so she wouldn't tell him off, she gave a slight nod and went on her way. The dazed man snapped back into reality and looked to the ground where his loaf of bread still laid. Bending down to retrieve it, he dusted off any pebbles that got on the cloth. Continuing his prideful strides to his home, he casually put his hand in his trouser pockets.

A few beats passed before he realized it was unusually empty. He clearly remembered having spare change from earlier this evening, it quickly sent him into a frenzy. Checking his other pocket and the pockets of his suit jacket, he still came up empty.

Maybe he was just imagining that spare change. He grew confused, but still kept the same pace on the pavement. And to think the one responsible for his missing quids was the woman confidently walking the streets of london. The thought simply never crossed his mind, he was blinded. In his eyes, she couldn't have done it, she was too kind.

Meanwhile, the Morelli woman dropped her eye catching smile and stuffed the pound sterling into her handbag. Turning the corner of the street, she stopped in front of a cream colored door. Twisting the handle, she made her way in shutting the door behind her.