Chapter 2

Meira woke up in cold sweat. The draft coming in from the cracks sent shivers down his spine. Outside, the wind howled like a pack of angry wolves. With each new cry, the windows rattled and the wolves pounded against the door, reaching for their prey.

He looked around breathing heavily. He must have been quiet, because Timothee and Koa were still asleep on the pallet. A look at the clock told him he still had three hours. Work began at the fith hour and ended at the seventeenth. It wasn't comfortable or fun, but neccessary.

Meira and Timothee had been sorted into the section that made small parts for toys and trinkets, Koa had the misfortune of being dumped with the large machines. He was taller and looked like he had a stronger build. The hall was famous for being the most gruelling. You could hear the clanking and screeching all day long.

Whatever they made, they couldn't afford. 

No matter what the factories were doing or what you did, there was no way out. Anyone from Hallow Creek could (but wouldn't) tell you that they had the misfortune of making their living off of work no one else would ever want to do. They made the profit for the capitals. 

Timothee had once rolled her eyes and said, "If you want to be richer than a god, get a factory and exploit those in need."

The clock struck the fourth hour with a ping.

"Wake up," Meira mumbled, shaking his siblings. "We need to leave soon."

Koa groaned and blinked up at his older brother. "Breakfast?" he asked quietly.

"I'll check. I think there might still be something." He walked over to the corner where a bucket was hiding. It was the coolest place in the room and the draft kept mould from building. Lifting the cloth up, Meira found some leftover bread. He broke it into three pieces and handed each of his siblings a piece.

"Thanks," Timothee murmured, biting off a chunk. Chewing she glanced out of the window. The newspaper filling the cracks would have to be replaced soon. "How long do you think we need to keep working to get out of here?"

Koa gave a mild scoff, quickly silenced by Meira kicking him lightly. He shot his younger brother a warning glare. Patting Timothee on the shoulder, he smiled. "Our ship will come in eventually."

His sister smiled, shaking herself. "You're right, I'm being too pessimistic about this! It'll all work out."

Koa looked far less convinced. He got up and shoved his feet into a pair of worn out leather shoes. They'd stopped being waterproof a while back. On the bright side, he had finally grown into them. He shook his head as Meira held out his coat to him and left before he could argue.

Together, the all stepped out into the chilly, morning air. It was foggy as usual and the air smelt of burning coal. The grey masses were all making their way through the slushy mud on the streets toward the iron gates of the factories. It was like watching a march of the undead through the world of damnation. Just... less enthusiasm and more coughing.  

Koa was rubbing his hands together, like one did when one had decided not to listen to one's older sibling and bring a coat. Of course, in this specific scenario, one was also too stubborn to admit to any mistakes one had made. Meira sighed wearily and wrapped his coat around his brother. Same thing, over and over again.

"Next time, listen to me!" he said, annoyed.

Koa gave a grunt that could be interpreted as a 'thank you' or a 'piss off'. His older brother rolled his eyes in a way that could mean 'you're welcome' or 'you need to grow up'. The interpretation was up to the recipient.

Timothee snorted in amusement, kicking a stray rock. It skidded down the path and to a stop near the gates. 

A couple more steps and they passed through the gate as well. The odour that seemed to cling to every pore of the area, increased tenfold. They said their goodbyes and headed to their sections.

The overseer was already there, barking orders like a rabid dog. He walked up and down the aisles created by neatly seated rows of workers skilfully crafting objects - masterpieces they would never see again. Keira glanced over at Timothee who was already tinkering with a clockwork. Her blonde hair was tied back in a messy ponytail and her eyes were empty, void of emotion. The same expression was reflected in the girl opposite her and the boy next to her. If he had looked in a mirror, Meira was sure he would look the same.

It was going to be a long day. Nothing exciting ever happened here.